Note to New Members ×

My Donek is On the Way!

jnshapiro

Mine has his storage wax on, ready to hit the hill in Dec. It's a 167 also with the Olympic core, and I can't wait to fall off, I mean, ride it ...

What colour did you get?

I would highly recommend replacing that storage wax before you hit the hill. When I got a new Donek FC2 last season, I went riding with the storage wax. The first run was horrible. I couldn't predict how the board would slide. I actually caught an edge and did a faceplant, the first time that happened in over a decade. I immediately went to the parking lot, scraped off the storage wax with a credit card and rubbed on some new wax. The ride improved tenfold.

That opened my eyes to how much the wax job really matters.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 108288" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>jnshapiro</TD><TD class=alt2>Got an e-mail today from Sean. My new board is on the way! It's an Axxess 172 with the Olympic core.

In addition, the TD2's that are going on it showed up today.

Can't wait to get this baby together.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Your are stoked jn! I got the same setup at the begining of last season and couldn't believe what I had been missing. Be patient getting things dialed in... your new ride will be completely different than the old Burton gear.

Oh wow. You didn't wax it before you rode it? I can understand it didn't ride well because there pretty much is no wax on it.

No, the problem was that there was a ton of wax on the base. I had assumed (wrongly) the board would be ready to rock and roll right out of the shipping box. My credit card worked pretty damn good on removing the excess wax.

you should always scrape off the storage wax. I just scraped and went, my board rode fine. Did you use a lower quality wax when storing? Or the wrong temp?

It arrived in July, and I'd used all my wax from the previous season. I managed to dig up some dodgy looking green stuff from Ski Cellar ... I'm pretty sure it's cold wax, and it's SO coming off and a few coats of decent stuff going on before it sees snow. Plus a 1-1 on the edges.

It's not going out until there's enough snow to cover the rocks on Goat's Eye. :smashfrea

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 108432" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>jnshapiro</TD><TD class=alt2>Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Thor VonRippington

Yeah... Donek sends em out dry with edges 0/0... tough ride indeed

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What do you recommend for edge angles?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That depends on a few things... personal preference, snow conditions, board design being a few. Allee suggested a 1/1 in his post which is a safe bet and a good place to start. I like a 3/1 on most of my boards although that's a little overkill for Colorado snow. Check this link for some details.

http://www.racewax.com/servlet/the-template/ttedges/Page

Hey guys. I thought I'd update you on how we're shipping the boards these days. We've stopped hot waxing. With Jenifer doing all the shipping and final board prep with a baby in tow, we decided it was a bit much for her to have to wax. We did, however, buy a stone grinder last season and have it dialed in pretty well now. I think most people would prefer a nice flat base with a good stone structure to a hot wax, so hopefully it's seen as an improvement. We are also putting a 1 deg base bevel and a 1 deg side bevel on all the boards. I like it a bit better and have had good feedback so far.

Sean,

I like the concept of a good base grind and 1 base, 1 side. Setting base bevel is a pain in the butt and most people run 1 base. Changing the 1 side to 2 or 3 side is pretty darn easy for anyone to do. I think that this is a move in the right direction.

A good base grind and 1/1 tune is worth more in my book than a wax job!

Cant wait for the new toys to come!

Keep up the great work.

Todd

Hey guys. I thought I'd update you on how we're shipping the boards these days. We've stopped hot waxing. With Jenifer doing all the shipping and final board prep with a baby in tow, we decided it was a bit much for her to have to wax. We did, however, buy a stone grinder last season and have it dialed in pretty well now. I think most people would prefer a nice flat base with a good stone structure to a hot wax, so hopefully it's seen as an improvement. We are also putting a 1 deg base bevel and a 1 deg side bevel on all the boards. I like it a bit better and have had good feedback so far.