Note to New Members ×

Getting Back Into It Finally!

Guest tlivingston

Guest tlivingston

Hi,

I've finally decided to move back to hardbooting after ridding skis and a soft board for a few years, and will need a new setup (board, bindings, boots). I've consulted several websites but was looking for your guy's input.

A little history: I started snowboading as a kid maybe 10 yrs ago. Quickly switched to an alpine board (I remember my coach watching me carve down the side of the pipe as he instructed kids in the half pipe). I got into racing for maybe 3/4 years, getting several alpine boards, but was still pretty young. Went back to skis for a bit, then went back to boarding, but got a stiff soft board instead. Raced casually for a highschool team (not a single person in the league used a race board, sad, I know) on this softboard, but missed the feel of a raceboard. Now I'm in second year on paid coop, so I have a fair amount of money (and christmas) to spend, so I want to get high quality stuff that will last.

What I need: I want a board (not sure whether race or freecarve) that I can use all day long (so not always fresh groomed) but never in powder (Ill keep my softboard for that, but Im in Ontario, Canada so no real need anyways). I never really enjoyed racing, I'm not a speed junkie. What I did love was just getting on a hill and carving turns all the way down, a feeling that Ive realized only comes from an alpine board. I want to be able to do sharp turns at moderate speeds, I dont need extreme edge hold that only comes from a super long board. I'd rather have the feeling of linking tight turns.

The Gear: I'm looking at Prior boards, and was thinking the 4WD. I think this is the right choice, but thats why I'm asking. I'm also thinking either 169 or 174, but that is really what I need an opinion on. Im 6'2 and weigh 180-190 pounds depending on the week. I've had experience flexing a board, but was never really amazing at racing as a kid. Im just looking for that feeling that Ive missed so much of carving trenches all the way down and having your friends on their boards go....oh. I also need boots and bindings. I remember my racing tongues bruzing my shins back in the day. I was recommended suzukas by a store. What do you think? Also I need bindings, which I think Ill get TD2s, my question is are step ins worth it.

I know this is a long post, but im pretty pumped to get all my gear! Thanks for the time and any input,

Ted

Get the 174. I've heard good things about the board, but you'll want that longer length. I've got a Donek Axxess on order in a 172 length. Can't wait to see it!

Step-ins or not? That is the question. Ok, that was bad. But it's a personal choice. I went for bails. Just cause I'm more comfortable with it.

I really like my softer SB 225 boots (the Lemans). With the stiff board and bindings, the softer boots give a nice feel, especially on the rest of the mountain and off the groomers.

I've been out of snowboarding for a while and this is the setup I'm jumping back in with.

Joel

Alpine snowboards have changed a bit while you were out, freecarve boards are more versitile than their race oriented predecessors. if you want a great carving board for hard surfaces, donek, prior, coiler, madd, pogo, and virus all make great quality freecarving boards. they'll all do customs too if you want. If you're looking for uber strength, i suggest pogos. but others will soon suggest more gear for other reasons as well. the length you'll be looking for (considering you want a turnier board for slower conditions) is between 160 and 175. most boards have a few lenghts in that range.

If you want even more versatility, then the prior 4WD is considered a great board for carving everywhere, but so is the donek axxess. Numerous bx boards might be good too, such as the madd bx, the f2 eliminator, and pogo snowboards makes 3 bx models.

bindings: I like standard bindings, i have more confidence in them than the stepin system and theyre still faster to get on than any softboot binding ive used, including flows. TD2s are the best freecarving binding, thanks to the suspension system.

boots: suzukas are the medium boot provided by deeluxe. great shells, comfterble flex for freecarving, but plastic buckles. deeluxe just came out with two new boots with metal buckles which you may also consider, one beeing a stiffer (race-ish) boot and one beeing a softer (freeride-ish) boot.

there's my input, good luck and welcome back:biggthump

Ted:

Welcome back to the fold. I personally find that carving trenches on an alpine board is the only way to have fun on our dinky little Southern Ontario hills. When I was skiing and riding softies, I got bored real quick. On alpine gear, I can have fun even at Centennial Hill (vert. drop 90m).

I'm the same weight as you and ride a Prior 4WD 174. I think that would be the right size for you. I would be glad to let you try it out.

You might want to buy some boots first then show up to some of our Southern Ontario carving sessions. There are lots of riders at MSLM on weekends and we do an annual organized get together at Osler (as long as we don't wear out our welcome). The guys are pretty generous with their gear so you could try out a number of boards before you commit.

Buy your boots at yyzcanuck for some great service or post up your mondo point size and someone might have a used set for you.

Henry

Guest tlivingston

Hey Guys,

First of all thanks for all the quick responses! It was upsetting when my buddy told me I was gay that I was getting back into alpine gear (even though he's never ridden one, and broke his back off the first kicker of the trip to tremblant last year...o well), so to come here for advice is a much appreciated alternative.

So I think Im going to go with a 4WD Prior 174, Ill look into new models of boots at yyz, and Ill still have to decide between TD 2 models (regular or step in). How hard is it to get into step ins anyways? Also, does anyone know if YYZ has a store front or all online? Whatever it is Ill give them a call tomorrow.

Again, all your help is most appreciated. And Henry, you say that you have a 4WD, still miles different then a soft board Im assuming? I just want that feeling back of carving lines in the snow all the way down, not necessarily at mach 1 speeds. Sigh, the good old days, why did I leave. Thanks again for all the input,

Ted

TLivingston. I also own a 4WD, 179cm. I can tell you that the 4WD will rail all the turns you will ever want. Slow speed, fast speed, whatever speed. I demo'd one at the SES 4 yrs ago and placed the order there and then. I will always pack the 4WD if I am planning on going on a trip just cuz it is so dang versatile. It is definitely my go to board!!!

If you decide to pick one up you will be forever pleased. I am riding a 4WD in my avatar, pic was shot at WTC last year.

The 4x4 is a great choice. Either size will work great. I prefer longer, but that's me. Step-ins are great when you are getting in/out of the bindings frequently like you will in Ontario, given the small vertical. Its really nice to ride right into the corral and release bindings while still moving and then just step off and stay standing. Add in the convenience when you have to push a bit on a cat-track traverse. You push a couple times and then step in while moving - no sitting down or stopping.

YYZ should be able to hook you up with boots and Bomber bindings. Have fun and welcome.

Again, all your help is most appreciated. And Henry, you say that you have a 4WD, still miles different then a soft board Im assuming? I just want that feeling back of carving lines in the snow all the way down, not necessarily at mach 1 speeds. Sigh, the good old days, why did I leave. Thanks again for all the input,

Ted

The big difference is, I can hold onto my edge a lot longer and complete the turn. Sometimes, when I'm on my freeride board and soft boots, I forget that I don't have the edgehold, I really crank a turn and smack myself into the snow. I took my worst fall last year that way. Slammed my head into the snow hard.

I also ride more racey boards and like them best when the snow conditions are firm and smooth. The Prior comes into it's own in the afternoon chop, that stuff we call powder in Ontario and spring slush.

Guest tlivingston

So I think I've narrowed it down to:

Board: Prior 4WD 174

Boots: Deeluxe Track (This im not sure on actually)

Bindings: TD2 stepin (which I need Intecs for right? also not sure of what front/rear lift/canting disc to get (thought 3 for each), or which e ring to get)

Sound good? What cant disc and erings to get? Boots? Thanks for all the help guys,

Ted

Guest tlivingston

And one quick thing, I called Prior, and he thought maybe a 169 for smaller Ontario hills, which made me question the 174 a bit. Any validity to this concern? Just want to make sure. Thanks,

Ted

What size boot do you need? I have some NOS Mondo point 29 Burton Winds I'm trying to sell. (They will work with intec type bindings) Let me know on the foot lentgth, might save you some $ over buying new. You can email me directly at kurt@bowcycle.com I'm in Calgary so it there would'nt be any tax, duties, brokerage etc. Thanks.