Note to New Members ×

Snowboard Journal 001

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

I got home today to find copy 001 of the Snowboard Journal in the mail. Literally the first page I opened to had a picture of Victoria Jealouse carving a turn with hard boots on! Great job on a great first issue guys! Finally a magazine that isn't targeted at punk park rat brats.

Originally posted by Skully

Good to hear that is actually has some alpine content in it though.

Well, it doesn't really - that article was really a collection of quick photographer stories behind different pictures, and they happened to have that shot in it. It is almost identical to the shot Neil posted in the "analysis of this month's Transworld" thread http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=7704#post7704, except it's a heelside turn (but clearly from the same photoshoot - same clothes, same board, same baseball hat, same badass carve).

My take on the magazine (having paged through it but not read it yet since I'm at work), is that there are lots of pictures of boarders in the air, but also lots of really, really killer back-country big-mountain powder pictures that make me drool. Cool article on a super-ancient snowboarding pioneer from 1940 or something. Interview with Todd Richards and lots of really great snowboarding shots from the 80's and early 90's.

If half the photos in the magazine don't give you goosebumps you're in the wrong sport :) Pretty beautiful mag. More to come after I've read it, but first my impressions are really good....

• 2 weeks later...

I flipped through the journal and it is pretty cool, but not $13 cool. I understand the economics and all, but nobody is going to pick this up on the shelf.

The pics of the early days are fabulous. Brings back old memories and reminds me of my copy of the first issue of Transworld Snowboarding.

JLM 27 left it kicking around our school room. Great mag, looking foward to having the time to actually read it. On a good note, all of our young instructors were checking it out too, and thought it was pretty cool. Maybe there is hope. Maybe we'll do a subscription contest in the school to help get out...

-Noah

Haven't had time to read through the whole thing, but I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. I've turned all the pages a couple times and read one of the articles. Air to snow ratio in the photography seems to be about 50/50, and content to ads ratio is way over half - bravo - maybe I'll do another "analysis". But bottom line is that it got me excited about a snowboarding magazine in a way that hasn't happened since Snowboard Life, or since TWS was 95 pages long. If it takes $12.50 (or $10 if you subscribe) to get a snowboarding magazine like this, I'll pay it. It would also serve a secondary purpose of giving a big kiss-off to TWS and their ilk - you know they're looking to see this mag fail. But I do hope the demand is there to lower the price next year. Had to sneak this $40 subscription under the radar.

-Jack

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Had to sneak this $40 subscription under the radar.

-Jack

I exercised the old "you have a subscription to Martha Stewart, I have this" ploy...strangely this worked for all 6 magazine that I subscribe to;) It isn't however my most expensive subscription that honor belongs to Lenswork however if it's as good as folks say I may write it off too as a work/training expence (being a Photographer does have it's advantages) :D

Guest g1ngerrevolution

First impression is that it's very nice indeed. Excellent photos.

Only read the (slighly morbid) article about the avalanche victims so far, but it's better by far than anything else I've read.

yea, I bought a subscription and so far I love it. I really need something like it to get my mind off the routine. There is a really cool article about Craig Kelly that is worth the cost and for the collection. Plus the photography is the best. I'm already looking forward to the next issue.