Note to New Members ×

my super cool awesome internship

skipuppy

So.... I got rejected by the first non-governmental organization that my application was sent to: the Association on the Prevention of Torture people. Then Aline (the EUSA lady who coordinates all of our internships) sent it off to another organization and I got an email from them saying they would interview me the next day (Wednesday) or Thursday. I accepted for Wednesday and after class went straight back to the Cenacle and wore my new suit that we bought :-) (got plenty of compliments from the people in the hall) and ran off. I got there half an hour early to give me time to find the place and definitely needed it because the road was difficult to confirm.

The organization is called the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom and they are the oldest international women's organization in the world. The building is located accross from one of the United Nations buildings and their office has a view of the actual United Nations (the actual postcard version with the flags), Lake Geneva and a park. There are about four main people working there (two supervisors and two interns) and they are in charge of the international office so they are in charge of the website and also of informing the offices all around the world (countries all over Latin America, Asia, Africa, etc). They also have "observational" status at the UN meaning that they can go to the meetings and sit in, which not that many international organizations have. My job, would be to go to the third session of the Human Rights Council held in the end of November and sit there with all the other organization representatives and diplomats etc. and listen to the country leaders and take notes, and analyze the sessions and write up reports on how this would affect women and children etc. This information that I would be writing and preparing would then be published on the website and used by the organization's branches all over the world.

I got the job. :-D

Love you all!!! and yeah, so now when you see it on the news or something in November on what the Human Rights Council said or what one leader called another and you see the building or even the inside of the council, you can be like- yeah, Tonja is sitting in that building in that same room with those guys.

OH MY ****ING GOD THIS IS SO CRAZY

haha, I cant believe this is happening for me- this will probably be a massive life changing experience..

Oooo, congrats for sure. :biggthump:biggthump I'm major envious. Hopefully, I'll be able to arrange to arrange to stay abroad for a few months when I go back to school in a few years. That's the one thing I really regret not doing when I was doing my bachelors.

Ah well, there are always other opportunities.

'later...