Note to New Members ×

Mac Vs. Windows

Justin A.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raisputin,

If you know where I can get the hacked version of OS X for a PC, shoot me an email.... I gotta see it:)) I wonder how does it work with all PC components:))

Going back to mac vs pc. In my work we're beginning to hate Macs even though Avid (pro video editing soft) started on macs years back.

Latest versions of the software (Avid) for mac just began to offer HD, when it was available on PC almost year ago, and they are not as stable as PCs when handling HD footage.

But on the other hand if I was a sound engineer using ProTools (same company makes ProTools and Avid), I wouldn't run it on anything other than a mac.

so we don't pass on virii to windows systems same reason there is antivirus software on platforms like free BSD that no one really writes creepy code for other than to attack apache

every now and again I scan this machine and it never picked up anything that effects this OS

there are a few(literaly a few) viruses on Mac OS and there are a bunch of vulnerabilities but nothing like windows

You can pimp MS software all you want but that does not change the fact that it is the most targeted OS because it's got the largest user base and is probably the easiest to compromise

wanna test this out?

install Windows XP and don't harden it in any way other than the windows firewall and see how long it takes to pick up something

now start up some antivirus software and do a scan a few days after receiving emails and cruising the internet, maybe downloading some music or something too

Now do the same thing with a Mac, a linux box or any of the other Unix or Unix like OSes, if you do pick up anything it's probably gonna be a infected file that the malicious code can can't be executed because it's built to run on windows.

IIS is another jewel of MS wonkery.

remember Nimda and code red?

the interesting thing is that only half of the argument can't be used as I did when it comes to IIS because Apache has a bigger userbase than IIS but crackers like to attack the system that has the largest market share, but they settle for the one that is easiest to crack(IIS).

IMHO the problem with windows is all of the things attached to the OS that don't belong, all of the crazy scripting, spagetti code, all of the locked on bells and whistles that create extra complexity, just in general a lack of care about customers.

ehh, I'm just being a dick though, I like Vista a good OS way ahead of their last one so long as you keep it away from the internet also Windows is fine if you run nothing other than MS software such as you if ONLY use Office and the machines are not connected to the outside world

It should also be noted that OSX/Leap-A cannot run without an administrator password on standard account types, but can when run in an administrator account. The main user account is by default an administrator account. :)

I remember when this came out and I downloaded it and tested it. Even though I run as administrator (I feel secure in doing on the Mac) it asked me for my password, but that could have been because I had updated my system and they had patched that flaw. I cannot remember for certain.

Norton Makes a Mac version because eventually someone will manage to write a true virus for the Mac platform

In my work we're beginning to hate Macs even though Avid (pro video editing soft) started on macs years back.

Latest versions of the software (Avid) for mac just began to offer HD, when it was available on PC almost year ago, and they are not as stable as PCs when handling HD footage.

Why run Avid when you can run FCP? FCP is faster, better, cheaper, and has become the defacto standard within the industry. FCP offered true native HD support before Avid's Windows product did. If you look at the top schools, they're all teaching on FCP and ignoring the handful of Avid toasters they still have floating around.

FCP heheh I saw that coming, good this is in an off topic thread.

Have you tried running a larger project on FCP? I don't mean just 10-20 folders with 10-20 bins in each....how about tracking and working with 250,000 objects (media files, master clips, precomputes etc) with 1500 master clips in a bin, all that shared on a network by 20 workstations, 8 editors, 5 assistants, and other staff.

Cant imagine doing it on anything else than Avid, and that's one of the reasons Avid is and will be an industry standard, well... at least here in S. Cali.

FCP is ok if you want to put togther a story,as you can on any other NLE, but Avid does amazing job at data managment that no FCP could handle, plus I've never heard of anybody finishing on FCP.

They're teaching FCP at schools because FCP workstations are cheaper than Avid. That way schools can make more money convincing people that ANYBODY can be an editor:) What top schools did you mean anyway?

Oh on more thing, HD on mac Avids was not available because Apple was not releasing the OS X code.

Not sure why I'm replying to this thread again......

Readyboost is a VERY cool feature. Pretty much you'll need 2x your RAM on the FLASH device to work well. (i.e. 1GB PC, you'll want a 2GB drive). Note there is a BIG difference b/w manufacturers USB flash transfer rates.....

You could use SD, but high speed USB is faster.

Anyhoo....if you don't like/need it, don't use it.

Otherwise, when you insert a memory device...you'll see the plug/play dialouge box pop open and ask if you would like to use it as a way to increase your performance.

As for the security issues...there's a big difference b/w enterprise-level security and consumer needs.

K

Transfer rates are standard and manufacturers comply them. Yes some manufactures make very fast flash memories that definitely require USB2 to be used in full capacity of speed.

It does not matter whether SD, CF e.t.c. as far as speed. They are the same electronic standards, but packaging is different due to mainly electrical interface. Of course serial is slower than parallel. For non-proffesionals difference is marginal.

Also note that performance improvement with flash cards is only when it comes to latency... hence it is to replace hard drives which is high latency media. Other than that flash is still more expensive than hard drive solution considering capacity, but hopefully that changes over years.

Why run Avid when you can run FCP? FCP is faster, better, cheaper, and has become the defacto standard within the industry. FCP offered true native HD support before Avid's Windows product did. If you look at the top schools, they're all teaching on FCP and ignoring the handful of Avid toasters they still have floating around.

I would not be so sure as "faster", "better" e.t.c. Avid seems to be more advanced. I do not like Avid, but it is only personal preference. Yes they are teaching with FCP and same many top schools teach how to use PC with Windows. What does it mean? Nothing. The fact is that many top studios producing Hollywood movies use Avid and not FCP period. It really depends on culture and costs and not neccessarily who made something first. I am personally big fun of Mac and FCP (or, since I go smaller these days, FCE HD that is enough for my needs), but bias against Avid when seeing where it is used and with what results may be not so appropriate.

For those who think they are so professional I would recommend to verify their needs. Many lower key solutions (like FCE and limited version of Avid) is more cost effective and simpler to complete project with similar if not the same result... but I am not professional so do not rely on my word - judge yourself. After all it is your or your company money.

Mac:

Pros:

MacOS X: BSD Unix based machine with a beautiful GUI. Immune[1] to viruses and spyware

Integration: It just plain works.[2]

Applications: What do most people use their computers for these days? Internet Access, E-Mail, Web Surfing, Taxes, Checkbook, Photos, Music, Games....The Mac does all of these

OS Support: MacOS X, Windows XP[3] (Native), NetBSD (Native), other BSD's (Native), Linux (Native)

Cost: Initial cost perhaps slightly higher in the laptop market, but there is also no need for Norton Internet Security and your machine will not be in the shop getting repaired every few months because it is inundated with spyware[4]

Cons:

Applications: You can;t go to your local Wal*Mart, Costco, etc. and find software that you want typically.

Games: If you are a hardcore gamer, forget the Mac, though it is getting better, there are infinitely more games available and available sooner on the WIntel platform.

Service: On those rare occasions where you may indeed need to take your machine to the shop for repairs, finding a qualified Mac person is extremely difficult unless you are in a larger city.

PC:

Pros:

Cost: PC's are still cheaper than macs[5]

Games: Ummm nothing to say here, Windows world is where games are at.

Specialized Applications:There are a lot of specialized applications, particularly those that require direct hardware access, that just are not available on the mac.

OS Support: WindowsN, Linux, BSD, Solaris, MacOS X[6]

Cons:

Service: Typically, for the normal user[4] a PC will go into the shop at least once or twice a year, depending on the shop this can get expensive. In my area, which is pretty small, the lowest shop rate is $50/hr with a 1 hour minimum. That translates to $50-$100/yr in ownership cost for repairs[7]

Viruses/Malware: You are going to need a good Antivirus program on your machine, most people will purchase Norton or McAfee which will come on their machine as a 3 month trial (~$50), additionally you will need to get some anti-spyware software (I would recommend, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware SE and SpywareBlaster) You can pay for Ad-Aware and have it run automatically, or run it manually. Do this weekly, costing you valuable time that you could spend being productive.

OS: I find myself contantly going to the command-line and using DOS commands. The Windows GUI, while it has gotten MUCH better over the years is still lightyears behind that of MacOS X, it is inconsistant and over time Microsoft continues to add 5 different ways/places to do one thing. It is not good UI design.

Integration: Plug-and-Play still doesn't work like it does on the Mac platform. Sometimes drivers install automatically, sometimes they don't, sometimes they install and work properly, sometimes they don't.

With all of that being said, I would recommend a Mac. As for my own background in I.T. 16+ years of experience on Macs, PC's, Sun Solaris machines, SGI Irix machines, HP/UX machines, VAX/VMS machines and a whole host of other crap. As I get older My view is kinda like this:

Mac: Workstations/Servers for most things I need to do

PC's: Games

Sun: Servers that are bulletproof

SGI Irix: Not really used anymore by me.

HP/UX: Not really used anymore by me.

VAX/VMS: Been way too long since I used one of these.

[1] I say immune meaning that there have been no viruses or spyware for Macs since the introduction of MacOS X. If you are dumb enough to download something questionable and then type in your admin password, you are on your own

[2] Except when it doesn't ;)

[3] On Intel-based Macs

[4] This is assuming a regular user, not someone who understands viruses, spyware, etc. (e.g. not even at beginner tech level)

[5] WHile PC's are still cheaper, what most people don't realize is that they are not getting an equivalent machine. Look at what is included on each and then configure them equally.

[6] MacOS X via a hacked intel version that is on the internet. No official support from Apple.

[7] Repairs, not including the cost of any hardware that may be needed.

Agreed. Only as far as service if you make a call to Apple Center they will tell you step after step and you can fix many hardware problems while on phone with them (I did some troubleshooting with them on phone on some Saturday call and opening case which was easy some time ago and not today unfortunatelly). As far as Mac Mini and iMac you are absolutely righ - it can be pain to get to some qualified service (and I am lucky to have it next town :-) I would point that for software related problems you need to install thei troubleshooting pack.

It is also worth to pint that Mac service on call is way more curtious, knowledgable and curtious than that of Microsoft or Dell (those folks sound like they did not give damn and they read standard FAQ troubleshooting pages to resolve your problems). I tried Dell consumer and buisness centers and there is incredible differewnce with treatment by those folks residing Hyberdad, India center. Mac service is from the US and folks up there behave by US professional standards.

You do understand I work for Bill and Steve, right? Much of what you wrote is editorial and not factual.....so I'd prefer not to clarify each point.

Currently I'm running Vista RC1 Build 5600 and it's running like a champ.

As mentioned...I enjoy Apple toys, very stable.

My PM should be on for anybody who has questions regarding Beta products.

Well it depends what facts you take. I do undestand that if you work for Bill and Steve then those are their facts which brings some doubts about possible... non-bias. I on the other hand rely on editorials from different sources including Gartner. Call it non-factual as you wish :D I think it would be more reliable comparison if you were in my (consultant shoes) while I could rely only on MS side listening to you.

You do undersatnd that I consult for one of the biggest securities trading firms in the world at this moment, right? I get to see good and bad solutions regardless of vendor... and I do get to see outcomes by IT engineers on professional and personal level.