Note to New Members ×

vegetarian / organic food question

FTA2R

Morality aside, scientifically, there is little difference between mammals and it actually makes sense that carnivoures are no different from carnnibals but here is where the morality thing raises its ugly head again. We cannot allow Charles Dammer to eat one of our own or the other German carnnibal or any member of cultural groups that eat their defeated or captured enemies in wars. We also do not tolerate people that eat our best friends in the animal kingdom

We also share a bunch of chromosomes with fish, are we not to eat them as well? And to call enjoying a steak cannibalism is absurd. Why do we have canines? Why don't we have enough enamel on our teeth to allow for a strict vegetarian diet? Going from the scientific standpoint our bodies were meant to process meat. Besides, it tastes so good.

Going from the scientific standpoint our bodies were meant to process meat.

Ive read claims that the opposite is true. Our digestive tracts are the longest in nature, and meat often ferments in them. Carnivores have super short digestive tracts. Pure herbivores apparently have super long ones. We're somewhere in the middle. Omnivores, it seems.

Ive read claims that the opposite is true. Our digestive tracts are the longest in nature, and meat often ferments in them. Carnivores have super short digestive tracts. Pure herbivores apparently have super long ones. We're somewhere in the middle. Omnivores, it seems.

Yeah, but we're also the only ones in nature to be stupid enough to walk around out of balance all the time...go Bipeds!

My view on it is that I don't tell you what to eat, so don't tell me what to eat. Chicken may in fact be the greatest food EVER cooked :biggthump but I do enjoy my fruits and veggies alot too.

________

Toyota ur engine specifications

How about birds? When they don't fly, they walk on two legs.

I said "all the time" Yes, WHEN birds aren't flying, they walk on two legs, but a bird would fly the length of a football field as opposed to go it on legs and just catch itself all the time.

Good call though, at the time I didn't think of birds.

________

Thai cooking

I said "all the time" Yes, WHEN birds aren't flying, they walk on two legs, but a bird would fly the length of a football field as opposed to go it on legs and just catch itself all the time.

Good call though, at the time I didn't think of birds.

How about ostridges or kiwis?:p Or THE Roadrunner (because, according to Wikipedia, a roadrunner CAN fly, but spends most of its time on the ground).;)

I had no idea our wheat was GMed.

My favourite example of a GM food is the seedless orange. :)

I admit, I do lean towards favouring GM to improve crop yields, since it would allow farmers to make better use of their land and thus require less land to produce the same amout of produce. That's what my brain is saying. But at the same time, my heart is saying GM is bad and could have negative long-term side-effects on the people, animals, plants, etc. Damn treehugger-scientist paradox !! :)

Vegans are at risk of developing vitamin B-12 deficiency because our dietary source is meat. So a multivitamin is key.

They also risk an iron defficiency, since the body absorbs less of the plant iron (about 8%) than it does the iron from meat (up to 15%). And I believe they also risk a calcium defficiency if they don't consume enough protein. I'll have to check this.

But what do I know, I'm the doc with a degree in biology-I already know most people here think I'm full of it

I'm certainely not one of them.

'later....

And supplements are another area, does your body REALLY deal with engineered chemicals that imitate naturally occuring vitamins and minerals, speaking of course of those things we find in foods. Ever take a multi-vitamin and have bright yellow urine almost immediatly afterwards? Think your body is really absorbing that stuff, or is it in defense mode?

I agree, the yellow or green colour of your urine would be the extra vitamins that you're body doesn't need. But it's not all the excess vitamins, it's only the water-soluable ones like C and B (except B12). The body stores the excess fat-soluable vitamins (A, D, E, K), which, in large enough quantities, can be toxik.

'later...

Ironically, one of the ten commandments is "Thou shall not kill" but killing other mammals for food is OK I guess.

Perhaps everyone in the meat processing industry is athiest. :lol:

Baby humans should drink mother's milk not cow milk;

Someone told me years ago that humans are the only animals that drink milk of another animal. I was shocked, since I had never thought of that before. I guess the other animals don't have access to artificial inseination like humans do.

somehow this all sounds weird and not well thought out...

Are you saying it wasn't "created" or "designed" ? :)

On more possitive note, organic restaurants are springing up here and doing very well. At least two vegetarian restaurants are here, and vegans are catered for. Healthy competition between whole foods and wild oats will soon take another turn.

Yeah, that's one thing I noticed when I visited Boulder last year, but I thought the vegetarian/organic culture was there for a long time. I found it really interesting. Kind-of like having Vancouver in Alberta. :lol:

'later...