Note to New Members ×

Who likes dogs?

Justin A.

Tommy- Have no fear, I know dogs quite well. My roomate is a dog trainer and both she and I foster dogs all the time. We just got rid of the last of a litter of 4. That made 7 dogs at our place. Craziness, I tell you. Anyhoo, I didn't mean that poodles were literally a vicious, I was merely trying to state that, out of the dog breeds, they then to be more prone to biting than any other. I wish I could remember where I read that study.

Allee- I don't know about the other designer dogs, but I have a huskey/border collie mix and she is the coolest dog I've ever known. She goes biking with me in the summer and snowboarding with me in the winter. Incredible personality, super-smart and absolutely beautiful. I'll have to take some pics that do her justice.

I've seen more small dogs do damage to people than large ones. Poodles are viscious dogs, and are responsible for the majority of dog bites.

Most of the dog reports with attacks in NZ are from pitbull looking type dogs or Rotties, because that is the typical dog a gangsta or hoodlum type wants on his bike or walking with him.

Sometimes they are staffy crosses, sometimes mutts, but you won't see the guy walking around with a Lab or a springer spaniel, that would not look 'streeet aiiight'.

A dog that looks like that often attracts a bozo owner; much more so than say a cocker spaniel or whatever ,which would have to be trained reasonably well to get it to bite super hard like a pitbull can.

There is a reason why they were bred, and that was dog killing rats and fighting and guarding. There is a reason why the society's own website says 'never trust your pitbull not to fight'... with other dogs is what they mean (and presumably other animals like a cat).

So to own one, you have to know what you are doing more so than perhaps a dog that doesn't possess such a severe bite. No dog should be left around kiddies without supervision. I've just spent the weekend windsurfing with my cat and the another 3 dogs running around. The kids unknowingly were maknig all 4 animals very uncomfortable and if I wasn't there, my cat would have probably scratched them, and the dog would have bit them. Yelling the ears, that sort of thing. Interestingly, from the first time they met, the dogs weren't interested in the cat (2 huskies and an indian sheep dog of some sort illegally imported here).

My cousin and father (vet and vet's assistant); neither felt that the pitbull was a particularly hard dog to deal with; had a big bite in theory but was predictable, and well mannered even when getting injections and the like (and I've been bit during those sort of times. Staffys look big and tough, and are super strong, but even more friendly again. Neither liked dealing with Rottys, and felt that if any dog was hard to read or predict out of the so called dangerous vicious breeds, it was a Rotweiler.

You pitbull guys agree?

So to own one, you have to know what you are doing more so than perhaps a dog that doesn't possess such a severe bite. No dog should be left around kiddies without supervision. I've just spent the weekend windsurfing with my cat and the another 3 dogs running around. The kids unknowingly were maknig all 4 animals very uncomfortable and if I wasn't there, my cat would have probably scratched them, and the dog would have bit them. Yelling the ears, that sort of thing. Interestingly, from the first time they met, the dogs weren't interested in the cat (2 huskies and an indian sheep dog of some sort illegally imported here).

My cousin and father (vet and vet's assistant); neither felt that the pitbull was a particularly hard dog to deal with; had a big bite in theory but was predictable, and well mannered even when getting injections and the like (and I've been bit during those sort of times. Staffys look big and tough, and are super strong, but even more friendly again. Neither liked dealing with Rottys, and felt that if any dog was hard to read or predict out of the so called dangerous vicious breeds, it was a Rotweiler.

You pitbull guys agree?

Yes, I agree. :)

I had a long-winded response, but here's the summary:

• Pit Bulls are well-mannered and predictable (Interesting your description of Rotty temperment; My vet tech girlfriend has said the same thing!)
  • Never leave kids alone with animals (Don't trust the kids to not do something dumb to the animals, causing the animal to react!)
  • Never trust a Pit not to fight. It may not start the fight, but it will be there for the duration. Same holds true for Bulldogs, and the like. My dogs are crated every time I leave the house.
  • Pit Bull owners need to know more about dog behavior, training, and need to be more responsible than the average dog owner. We have got to "Represent" and show off the good aspects/behaviors of the breed.
  • My dogs are great with other dogs and cats. I think they are afraid of my psycho cat, who nuzzles with them often.

Justin A: CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have fun with the new addition to your pack! :biggthump

Allee- I don't know about the other designer dogs, but I have a huskey/border collie mix and she is the coolest dog I've ever known. She goes biking with me in the summer and snowboarding with me in the winter. Incredible personality, super-smart and absolutely beautiful. I'll have to take some pics that do her justice.

Actually, one of my best friends has two Sibords. Abra (short for A-Grade Abracadabra) is probably the smartest dog I have ever met. I haven't met her young one but apparently she's also super smart, really cuddly and very pretty. They're trying to get them recognised as a breed in NZ - there's 2 breeders who must be into their fifth generations by now, and they need three to apply for breed status. They were originally bred as obedience dogs ... border collie smart and husky showy makes a great combo for that. Agility is a little hit and miss as they're likely to go AWOL at any time - must be the husky side :-), but they've also made great sledding dogs (they run wheeled sleds on the old forestry roads in NZ, it's a hoot).

I'd love to see pics of your baby.

I don't have a problem with designer dogs per se, I just scratch my head at people who pay Monopoly money for them. And especially when they do so just to have the "latest thing" without regard for the welfare of the dog ...

I met the absolute most vicious Rottie ever when I was out for a bike ride a few years ago. I was about to ride past this house when he came hauling out onto the shoulder, barking and snarling, and proceeded to start to stare me down. I figured I would just back away and find another way around, but every time I stepped back, he would take a bunch of steps toward me, until he got close enough that I was starting to get REALLY nervous. I put the bike between me and him, and kept backing away, but he finally got really close, leaned on my leg, looked up and me and started to drool on my shoes. All he wanted was an ear scratch. St00ped dog, almost gave me a heart attack. This just goes to show that ALL rottweilers are vicious dogs. Not to menton the ones that I see at the dog park all the time. The only time they're dangerous is when they're playing and not paying attention to where they're going.

Totally unrelated:

My girlfriend is letting me use her photobucket account to host the videos so:

th_CIMG0414.jpg

________

Whitley Plant

I met the absolute most vicious Rottie ever when I was out for a bike ride a few years ago. I was about to ride past this house when he came hauling out onto the shoulder, barking and snarling, and proceeded to start to stare me down. I figured I would just back away and find another way around, but every time I stepped back, he would take a bunch of steps toward me, until he got close enough that I was starting to get REALLY nervous. I put the bike between me and him, and kept backing away, but he finally got really close, leaned on my leg, looked up and me and started to drool on my shoes. All he wanted was an ear scratch. St00ped dog, almost gave me a heart attack. This just goes to show that ALL rottweilers are vicious dogs. Not to menton the ones that I see at the dog park all the time. The only time they're dangerous is when they're playing and not paying attention to where they're going.

Totally unrelated:

My girlfriend is letting me use her photobucket account to host the videos so:

This is his first encounter with a cat lol.

th_CIMG0414.jpg

First time meeting our dog:

th_CIMG0415.jpg

Playing with our dog for the first time:

th_CIMG0417-1.jpg

________

Pot

Justin- Did you try saying No! with authority? With many dogs, this will initmidate them, as it makes you out to be the one in authority. Say it in a really deep, harsh voice and most dogs will get the idea. I know it's not your first reaction, but it's something everyone who's been in that situation should do.

I was skateboarding to work this past summer and a loose doberman started chasing me. I turned around and belted NO! right into here face and she just turned around and ran the other way. OBviously it's not going to always work that well, but it's definitely something to try.

Congrats on the new friend Justin. Here's a picture of our boys. Both are pound rescues and great dogs. Yukon is a 90 lb 8 yr old Husky/Mal mix as far as we can tell. Tua is a 75 lb 7 yr old Lab/(Pit,Rottie,who knows) mix who is scared to death of water. Has big webbed feet and everything. :rolleyes: They have 2 amazingly different personalities. Yukon is happy as long as some food shows up once in a while. Otherwise he doesn't really care if you are around. Tua is constantly at your side. He's very dependent and must have scratchins. They get along great even though they are the odd couple. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

________

Allisa live

post-1720-141842219114_thumb.jpg

couple pics of our Bernese Mt Dog.

Nice companion for the snow. I take her to the Mountain as

often as I can. They have about the right amount of energy for me.

They love to frolic for a bit, and she really loves the deep powder.

After that, she just lays around the rest of the day.

post-1039-141842219156_thumb.jpg

post-1039-141842219158_thumb.jpg

my sister just got a pug. Its 8-9 weeks old and weighs 4 pounds. She looks smaller everytime I see her. I love pugs but when I get a dog, it'll be a siberian husky. I love those dogs. I know I'll defintly get a dog for my kids because I always wanted one growing up but we never got one.

my sister just got a pug. Its 8-9 weeks old and weighs 4 pounds. She looks smaller everytime I see her. I love pugs but when I get a dog, it'll be a siberian husky. I love those dogs. I know I'll defintly get a dog for my kids because I always wanted one growing up but we never got one.
I wanted a husky/malamute and ended up getting the aussie cattle dog.Dogs are a big commitment, make sure you're ready. I love that pic of Belle at Bachelor.Dogs in ski country is the best. Cassidy and I had alot of good times together out west, up in Stowe, at the beach, everywhere :p . Man, I miss that dog. :cool:

here is my siberian......love her!

post-597-141842219188_thumb.jpg

I know exactly how much commitment a dog takes. and money. My sister's pug just got pnemonia and is in the hospital for 10 days :-\ Its so sad to see a puppy sick.

On a brighter side, thats an amazing dog, spcarves2. I love how huskies have different color eyes. can't wait to be out of school to get one. Long and winding road ahead.

gleb, she is a wonderful, friendly, loving dog..........but also a lot of work. she needs to be in a fully fenced yard and needs to be exercised regularly. these dogs are hunters and will make every attempt to escape their yard to chase (eat) cats, squirels, rabbits, deer, etc. to this date she has managed to get a rabbit and a cat. aside from their instinctive desire to hunt, they are sweet, friendly, beautiful dogs. she loves our kids, doesn't bark at everything, has never bitten anyone, and will pull my kids in their toboggan when it snows.