Note to New Members ×

Intrawest Gets Bought Out

bartron

I've heard this rumored for the last year that Intrawest has been looking to sell. I hope that this does not negatively affect any ski areas. I know that in Vernon, Mountain Creek (an Intrawest resort) is building like crazy. They just erected a large hotel and are planning to build a small "resort like town," like at Stratton. Hope plans don't fall through.

Having been to Mammoth and Squaw where you have the McDonalds of ski resort towns in both places (even with artificial fire in the middle of the town square) I would have thought you'd be happy to get rid of these guys?

Death to McDs, Starbucks, and all other mass produced junk. i.e. INtrawest who screwed up Mammoth.

Maybe the new owners can reverse the damage.

Cut some new runs down to the south base, reduce the number of events that cut the exiting south runout in half, publish realistic snow reports, drop the lift ticket prices, fire "Pat, the Androdgenous Security Guard". That would be a nice start.

UNFORTUNATELY, selling condos next to the resort is the next "big" thing out there for making money. I can't tell you how many "investment opportunity" letters I get for areas next to resorts-it ain't just Intrawest.

For every one like us who'd pack a lunch and come in after it's dark, there's 3 "ski bunnies" who spend more time at the lodge scoping at the opposite sex.

Sam even mentioned looking at a condo development for our "after childrearing" homestead--I haven't told him my next goal in life is to be a hermit on a mountain who comes into town every 6 months to provision

Well don't get me wrong, I am all for apres ski and scoping out busty women with loose morals and low self esteem, but does every frigging ski resort need to be the exact same formula to acheive this?!

A friend of mine worked for intrawest for a while on their Squaw project, and felt they were actually not particularly competent at all; however like you say, I think the license to print money means they can afford to have just an ok product with high cost of production and still make loads.

I knew I should have bought a place in Mammoth back in the 1990s...my only consolation is the upcoming tanking of prices, and hopeful resultant buyer's market. However, I doubt that will happen in the areas I like (such as Reno) because the market never shot up by as much as the craziness of Mammoth.

I know Dave McCoy really didn't like Intrawest much. And Dave is da man.

The fact of the matter is that Intrawest is one of the largest ski resort companies in the US. I also understand that they are a real estate company in disquise. They have built some upscale town houses at the bottom Mountain Creek Ski resort in NJ. I think their problem was the town wouldn't agree to developing the rest of the 600 acres Mountain Creek proposed to develope. I'm sure the NJ highlands bill had something to do with it also. Some sacrifices must be made to ensure success of a ski area. This doesn't mean total developement but developement within reason. All in all they did know how to run a successful ski resort. I hope that this new investment company who bought MC can do the same. Although I have my doubts. Having lived in this town for almost 25 years, I would hate to see the ski area go under and become an unused piece of vacant land that will one day be overun with town houses and condos. I awkwardly feel that if Intrawest can't make it here, who can? I hope this new investment company means good to us and also any other Intrawest resort