Note to New Members ×

Carrying your longboard up hills

slopetool

So what are you guys using to carry or tow your boards back up to the top of the hill? Anything out of the ordinary? Tow straps? Backpacks? Whats working for you?

Me? I'm just carrying my Carveboard under my arm or rolling it on 2 wheels to take off some weight. I had a nice session earlier today in the nearby neighborhood. I'm tired as hell after walking up the hill again and again.

Ed

So what are you guys using to carry or tow your boards back up to the top of the hill? Anything out of the ordinary? Tow straps? Backpacks? Whats working for you?

Me? I'm just carrying my Carveboard under my arm or rolling it on 2 wheels to take off some weight. I had a nice session earlier today in the nearby neighborhood. I'm tired as hell after walking up the hill again and again.

Ed

The Carveboard is particularly heavy and when I was riding on, I rolled it on the back 2 wheels like you did. All the other boards I just carry in my arm. With a medium size longboard, I've found it quite easy to hike back up the hill. If not, a couple of sessions should get me into shape. Longest run that I've hiked back up was about half a mile. If I had to walk a long ways (I've done a 3-4 mile run), I would go with a backpack over a Tow rope.

Ed

In Hawaii I took the bus, nice to have a lift serviced hill :biggthump I did the same in Japan, come to think of it though Japan was more expensive the hill was waaaaaaaay longer, I miss that hill. I haven't found a good hill around here to skate (yet) so most of my longboarding is distance or park/pool. one option, we used to use in San Diego is to to gather a group and have someone drive a shuttle but you need a "good" hill for that kind of commitment

I stick mine on my back and in the crook of my elbows. Does that make sense? I do the same with my snowboard on long ascents where it's necessary to carry it.

Car shuttle rides or hitch-hiking is the key to a better session, for sure.

I'm on the search for perfect blacktop country roads now. With a nice wide spot to park at the top of the hill, of course. I really want to try one of those CarvStik boards too.

I spent an hour this morning on the "William C O'Neil" bike path. 7 miles of mostly flat perfect pavement. Of the seven miles I pushed about 1.5 miles, carved about a mile (on the little DH's) and pumped about 4.5 miles. My thighs and calves are toast however. My advice find a good Rail to Trail bike path and rebuild your legs for the winter

The BMW Streetcarver weighs around 16# because of the all glass oversize board construction and the automotive grade pendulum steering mechanisms. A carrying strategy is a must because the non-trucks have no return to center and therefore dragging means a fight with the pendulum steering unless you really finesse it. I carry the board parked cross-wise in the small of my back and hook my arms over the back side of the deck. Okay, I do look like a modern day Christ carrying a cross but it works. At the end of a session my arms are as toasted as my legs.