Note to New Members ×

Off topic> we need the same tools for avalanche riding

nils

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't see the link between boats and avalanche. The only thing that I've heard is that in an avalanche, the snow flows like waves of water coming down, and when it settles, it is very hard packed.

I think he means something to bring us to the top of an avy, and I think that the avy "airbag" is a good start. Derf is right about the snow settling in an avy, and being much denser, or in the worst case, being hit with large blocks. Water is different in the way it acts, as it's consistency remains virtually the same. That was a wild clip, and those guys were trying to flip themselves over in the surf.

I've seen these US Coast Guard rescue boats doing these drills off of the Oregon Coast through the surf, and it's AMAZING.

It's cover-your-eyes-and-say "Oooh, bet that's gonna leave a mark" amazing.

But a similar technology has been developed for skiers and boarders for flotation in the event of being avalanched IIRC.

It came out of Austria or Switzerland I believe, and acts very much in the same manner as the positive buoyancy of these boats.

Compressed air is activated into a vest that is worn by the rider, which then inflates a collar that goes around the victim's neck and torso to lift them up to the surface of the moving avalanche debris.

If you mate this with an Avalung, then you might even stand a fighting chance in a slide, providing you weren't pummelled to death in trees and rocks or sent over a cliff.

Of course, I prefer the avalanche prevention technique for myself....

i was more talking about a vehicle that would be able to survive avy's... as for the ABS airbag, its really a good product, and a lot of people are getting them here...

I don't know about the gear but I spoke with my friends son-in-law that works on one of those boats with the US Coast Guard in Oregon. He says it is a rush during annual rollover training. I like the prop spray.