Note to New Members ×

Any other Audiophiles out there?

Justin A.

I've always loved to listen to my music the right way. I was getting fed up with my crappy old headphones and the not even mediocre sound reproduction that they offered, so I went out and got a nice set of earbuds. I went to bestbuy (they have grood prices, ok?) and picked up a pair of Shure E2's for $99. These are the first headphones that I've used that I've actually been impressed with. Lows are deep without being rumbly and highs are tight sans squeakiness. The isolation that they provide is AMAZING. I'm hearing things in my music that I didn't even hear when I was performing it (I played horn in the orchestra pit for beauty and the beast last year). The little nuances really come out wonderfully. The best part is that they don't give that hiss and crackle that ANR hearphones do. I strongly reccomend trying these if you are someone who enjoys hearing their music the way it was meant to be heard. Anybody else have a similar revalation?

________

BUY VAPORIZERS

I have some e2's that I use as IEM's with my band, I use them as headphones occationally but I find they're a pain for casual listening, when I listen through headphones on bustrips and plane trips and stuff like that I use my AKG's but they're not good for listining to music while you're walking or driving, most of the time I just use the ultra crappy ipod headphones, they're **** but they get the job done. As for sound the e2's are pretty good but I again prefer my AKG's, they're much punchier and have a little bit of emphasis on bass frequencies that I like.

I consider myself to be moderately audiophile. I like to listen to music on a good stereo sound system. When I lived with my parents (in a house), I set up a listening room in the (then unfinished) basement and listened to records and CDs. Now I have my own (small) appartment. Small appartment means no space to setup a listening room, not even in the small living room. I managed to get some decent equipement for very cheap:

-Yamaha A-960 amp (early 1980s) for free, needed some repairs and ~20$ in parts. My father in law was going to throw it away because it didn't work anymore, but I managed to repair it (after he got a NAD amp to replace it).

-Sony CDP-570 CD player (mid 1990s), for free from the owner of the place I work at, works great, even reads CDRs.

-Teac R-425 tape deck, for free from the owner of the place I work at, did not work, cost 50$ to have it repaired

-Audiosphere Research (a little above low end) cabinets, found by my father in law. I changed all the speakers (3 way) for 90$ and they sound OK, the mids are a little strong, the highs are clear but not aggressive, the lows are deep but a little faint.

-Sennheiser HD202 closed ear headphones. I wanted closed ear so I would not be bothered by the bus or subway sounds when commuting. The bass is a little strong, but these are DJ/bass and closed ear headphones, so it no big surprise. It was a birthday gift from my father.

-All I am missing is an AM/FM tuner. Anyone has one for sale?

I like to listen to music that sounds well, so I could consider myself as an audiophile, but I am not the type of audiophile you read about in the magazines. I like to talk about gear, but in a limited way. I haven't heard many sound system in my life, so I can't comment much on what sounds good. But if I hear a system, I can say if I like the sound or not (and why). I won't go in too deep, because they are lots of opinion when it comes to audio, especially from technically inclined/oriented people.

There is something I read a while ago that struck me about audio and that sums it up quite nicely: "Audiophiles listen to the equipment rather than the music" (or something like that).

Yes, I do want an expensive sound system, but I won't go insane over what to choose.

I can't afford to be the audiophile I really am inside. Dreaming of the day I can throw down for a Bryston 4B amp and some really good speakers like NHT or B&W, or maybe Magnepans if I have the room. When I was between jobs I worked at a high end hifi store with all that stuff. Scored myself some good discounts, including 70% off Transparent cables.

But... I didn't think audiophiles listened to headphones??? The stage is supposed to be infront of you, not inside your head!

I can't afford to be the audiophile I really am inside. Dreaming of the day I can throw down for a Bryston 4B amp and some really good speakers like NHT or B&W, or maybe Magnepans if I have the room. When I was between jobs I worked at a high end hifi store with all that stuff. Scored myself some good discounts, including 70% off Transparent cables.

But... I didn't think audiophiles listened to headphones??? The stage is supposed to be infront of you, not inside your head!

lol you got me! I can't lug speakers to the gym or back and forth to school with me, so I settled on good headphones. I do have a nice set of speakers at home though: Creative I-Triuge's 2+1 for around the house. They're a REALLY good set of speakers for the money, not any of the snobby names that you mentioned but I think that they compete with the equivalent bose system for a third of the price.

________

HONDA NSR SERIES HISTORY

lol you got me! I can't lug speakers to the gym or back and forth to school with me, so I settled on good headphones. I do have a nice set of speakers at home though: Creative I-Triuge's 2+1 for around the house. They're a REALLY good set of speakers for the money, not any of the snobby names that you mentioned but I think that they compete with the equivalent bose system for a third of the price.

In the world of audio, speaking about Bose is like asking for a flamewar. But for the meny, Creative makes good computer speakers.

Seriously, my father's Bose 800 (from 1975) are among the best speaker I've heard. These are professionnal PA speakers he used for his synths when he was a musician. They are sealed boxes with 8 4" full range speakers and need an EQ to have the correct frequency responce.

Personally, I prefer Harmmon Kardon over Bose, but again, I dont want a flamewar. Most of the time, Bose makes the product and other companies copy it and sometimes get away sounding better, while Bose is left footing the bill for the years of R&D that they pumped into their product. From personal experience, the Bose Aviation Headset X ($999) is a wonderful piece of equipment, but there are other headsets (Lightspeed Lightflight Mach 2-$500) that outperform them in noise reduction and voice reproduction (although I haven't heard transmissions from the other end as far as I know). Bose is a name with great products, Im just saying that there are other companies that produce as high, sometimes higher a quality product for less.

Here we go... :flamethro:smashfrea:boxing_sm:AR15firin

________

Yamaha xv920r specifications

Bose is a good sounding Mid Fi product, but you can't compare it to some of the esoteric audio equipment out there. I don't think they even claim to be an Audiophile product.

I just replaced my audio preamp with a Marsh 2000T nice sound!! It is a tube output stage. My logans have never sounded beter. I feed it with a Linn CD player and power it with a Rotel 1090 power amp. T2 speaker cables out to the Logan electrostats.

Paul

Bose is a good sounding Mid Fi product, but you can't compare it to some of the esoteric audio equipment out there. I don't think they even claim to be an Audiophile product.

I just replaced my audio preamp with a Marsh 2000T nice sound!! It is a tube output stage. My logans have never sounded beter. I feed it with a Linn CD player and power it with a Rotel 1090 power amp. T2 speaker cables out to the Logan electrostats.

Paul

I heard some Martin Logan hybrid once. The best sounding speakers EVER! One day, they will be mine!