Note to New Members ×

tune-up in L.A. area?

djlepper

I WOULD NOT TRUST ANYONE IN LA TO TOUCH MY BOARDS!

probably be a park monkey that makes it to big bear twice a year and call himself 'core

do it yourself, sooooooo easy and then once you get the hang of it you can really tailor your tunes to your needs

wax every other time you ride and it will keep your board real happy

the only thing you need a shop for is a grind and even in that case few of the many are capable of doing a good job

another good tuner is The Race Place in Bend, OR. Youll spend a lot less than at PTC and get a perfectly good tune

2nd vote for "learn to do it yourself"

the initial bevel set and base grinds are sometimes done better by tuners, but after taht you can easily keep a board running great on your own.

I've used this place for a hot wax, edge sharpening and a light grind on a couple of my boards.

Ski Surf Shop

Address: 1765 Artesia Blvd, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

Phone: (310) 379-2312

I just eyeballed the finished work and it seemed competent enough. They got the edges sharper than what I could do at home.

However, I plan on using PTC for my custom Donek and Madd.

You should learn how to at least do your own wax jobs. I use Wax Whizard. Much easier than doing a hot wax.

Guest snowsnob

ZJ's boarding house in Santa Monica seems to do a decent job if you just need a regular tune-up

I hear you might be able to get a deal if you bring the guys a case of beer.

Drive up to Tahoe once or twice a year for some good riding with the Tahoecarvers crew. Then take your board to one of the places they recommend up there. Granite Chief in Truckee is very good (Soren is the man to have do the work).

There must be some good places at Mammoth, but I don't know them.

You might also try posting this ? on a skier board like TGR (TGR Forum Link). Places that tune skis well should be able to do a good job on a carving board. Ask on TGR where someone would take their wide skis for a tune. These days wide skis are 10-14cm at the waist - that's nearly a carving board.

These days wide skis are 10-14cm at the waist - that's nearly a carving board.

thats pretty funny if you think about it. I don't know how, but it gave me a chuckle or so.

Defintly learn to do it yourself. My friend just got an iron and does his tunes himself and saves bundles. I think he is getting his hands on a nice grind too. too bad he broke his wrist at rugby though. I too intentend to master the art of tuning my boards, but i'll practice on my junk skis first.:biggthump

Guest skidoc

Here's the deal,

I'm all about self-maintenance, otherwise known as "tuning." But, if the base and base edge surfaces are incorrect to start with then they will still be incorrect after self-tuning. The only way one can correctly and effectively set a TRUE base edge bevel is if your base edge is verified to be at 0 to .5 degree to begin with. A consistent and proper base and side edge angle will open levels of versatility and character from your ride that you have never felt before. The vast majority of product when it comes out of the wrapper is usually well in excess of a true 1 degree base bevel. The side edge angle is also rarely set at the proper 3 degree angle from the factory, but is the one thing that can be truly corrected by proper hand filing.

If you have never ridden a verified preparation you'll never know what your missing. Finding edge angle verification can only be done utilizing a proper true bar and side edge file guide. Finding someone who knows how to use these hard tools to prove the math your riding on is not easy to find, just ask Rosey Fletcher.

For about 100 bucks a board including return shipping I'll give you the same Olympic prep as Rosey's. Once the board is set up, all you do is maintain it until it has suffered too much damage to bring back by hand making original performance unretrievable. A properly self-maintained PTC Refinish lasts many seasons, so your 100 bucks will be a well amortized expense, it equates to about 1.5 lift tickets or so. It's all about creating the best experience possible, and givin' the opportunity to truly make it better, why wouldn't one at least give it a try?

www.precisiontuningcenter.com then click on PTC. I have not inserted the summer shipping address on the website yet, it is:

Mike de Santis

24 Karal Drive

Framingham, MA 01701

Business phone: 508 981 4608

hey mike, i heard its actually "THE Mike De Santis" according to the guys at the danvers summit ski. If thats true, thats awesome!

Also, i heard alot about the PTC from many people and might give it a try eventually. Its hard to believe that a degree makes that much of a difference but I'll have to see for myself.