Note to New Members ×

slush

Guest kennyusmc

Well if anybody else reads this I'm sure you'll get a few recomendations for the longer FP. But my money would be on the shorter ATV. I'm 170#, normally ride 162-164, somethimes 170 boards, and in spring I like my shorter boards. Its sort of like powder riding on the slush, but its a slower turn/ride.

Get a good wax job with a spring (warmer) wax. The big factor, which a longer board will exacerbate, is water and dirt on the snowsurface and the resulting suction brakes. Sometimes this gets so bad it will actually toss you over the front.

Have fun

Guest kennyusmc

Thanks alot..going up for the 39th day this season.

I basically have several boards already... who knew you would buy some many boards compared to soft setups..

I have a Burton FP 164 & FP 178, and a Prior ATV 167... which was the perfect learning board to start cranking up the angles on..

I am a bit heavier than you at 200 lbs.. and flexing the FP's really isn't to bad.. it is the chatter and tail slap in the crud that I hate on those boards... next year I want to get a coiler or donek to add to the quiver.

Thanks again

Ken

just a suggestion, if you dont have a "spring structure" in your base

before I found this site and got all wrapped up in technicality, I used to be able to FLY through even the wettest of snow using a simply method

I only had one type of wax: One Ball Jay all-temp.

in the spring, I would lay it on just a tad heavy, then take a wax comb and cut a cross-hatch pattern edge to edge. No scraping, just the wax comb

I would blow by everyone, all day, every day.

dirt's a different issue, but this "structuring" even seemed to help not pick up so much

that said, Id ride the ATV

Nothing like a Burton Alp in spring slush.....slather that lightspeed base in citrus cleaner(GOO GONE) and put the bindings at least one set of holes back towards the tail and surf slush.....carry a goo gone soaked cleanning rag in a plastic bag in your pocket for cleanig the tar off yoour base on the hill........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

just a suggestion, if you dont have a "spring structure" in your base

before I found this site and got all wrapped up in technicality, I used to be able to FLY through even the wettest of snow using a simply method

I only had one type of wax: One Ball Jay all-temp.

in the spring, I would lay it on just a tad heavy, then take a wax comb and cut a cross-hatch pattern edge to edge. No scraping, just the wax comb

I would blow by everyone, all day, every day.

dirt's a different issue, but this "structuring" even seemed to help not pick up so much

that said, Id ride the ATV

:biggthump:biggthump Used that method for a number of years (same wax too), works great! Dirt: Rode at Timberline last week, lower part slushy and dirty, top to bottom. No probs. A couple weeks ago, same area with a polished wax job, slushy, no dirt, I was sticking all over by noon. Good tip D.

a specific kind of dirt called molybdenum, it helps repel dirt and tar to a point

graphite waxes work alright but not quite as well

D-sub is right on for the super wet snow or when its raining if your board has a good deep structure in the base already though it just comes down to the right wax

mixed my own a couple years ago and it went well, I added some holmenkol silicon aditive to OBJ summer slush with graphite, that **** was slick in the slush