Note to New Members ×

Mt. Bachelor conditions, what's the scoop?

ar(angel

I see where Bach' is open until May 29th, any of you locals up there wanna give us a snow report? If I can pull it off I'd like to come up for a last "hurrah" and drag Ralann and the kids with me. Let us know how it looks, I appreciate it.

p.s. throw in any lodging suggestions or ticket deals too.... :D

It's down to two lifts - Pine Marten and Summit. On a good day, the carving runs are Beverly Hills and Healy Heights (Summit) and Thunderbird, Coffee, Skyliner, Old Skyliner, and Leeway (Pine Marten). Lift hours are 8 - 1 daily.

Grooming varies with weather. Some mornings, it's very smooth and others, not.

If the temp goes below freezing at night, it will be icy for at least 90 minutes and as much as 3 hours.

If the temp stays above freezing, have something off-piste friendly ready and do some short hikes to drop into the cirque.

Lift tickets are $34, probably won't find much in the way of deals this time of year. I always liked Riverhouse for lodging before I moved here, they've got two pools and if you like steak, a decent steakhouse albeit probably overpriced. (I am not a red-meat-eater so I do my overpriced dining at Kanpai, which has some excellent sushi)

I'd say watch the forecast carefully (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=pdt&zone=orz043&fire=orz611&county=orc017&dgtl=1&lat=43.977083333333&lon=-121.69375), in particular the overnight lows, wind, and chance of precip.

I will likely ride on the following days assuming passable weather: 8, one of 13/14, 3 of 19-22, and 2 of 27-29. Would love to meet you and take some runs!

It's down to two lifts - Pine Marten and Summit. On a good day, the carving runs are Beverly Hills and Healy Heights (Summit) and Thunderbird, Coffee, Skyliner, Old Skyliner, and Leeway (Pine Marten). Lift hours are 8 - 1 daily.

Man! Those runs bring back some good memories. I haven't been to Bachelor since '92, but I've probably been there 5 or 6 times. Since I've gotten into carving, I've always thought back on Bachelor and wondered what Thunderbird would be like on a hard boot setup. It's gotta be a rockin' run.

• 2 weeks later...
I see where Bach' is open until May 29th, any of you locals up there wanna give us a snow report? If I can pull it off I'd like to come up for a last "hurrah" and drag Ralann and the kids with me. Let us know how it looks, I appreciate it.

p.s. throw in any lodging suggestions or ticket deals too.... :D

Paul. It is going to be really warm this week. You might want to wait till it cools down. It has been really good recently from what Tim has said in his posts. There is a gallery and mountain conditions updates on my site.

Hope you make it up. Mt Hood is only another 2 hours away!

Unfortunately allot of the Mt Bach. locals are not online enough to post updates.

Might check here

Other helpful links here too. Bottom of page

Im going out to Bend to visit me brudder in September...Wow too bad it probably will not open till at least November.

Yep - a week or so before Thanksgiving seems to be the norm.

BTW I was up there today for a few runs after a LONG LONG downtime due to illness. Plenty of snow but it is DIRTY. I was on my softies since I'm still not feeling all that great and wanted to keep the speed down... never seen my base as dirty as today.

you ok, mike? looked at the home page today for bach and it sure looks filthy!

Yep, had a nasty respiratory infection, fortunately it never did become pneumonia. Haven't felt like myself for 4 weeks and counting though. No riding for three weeks (until yesterday) - sucks big time, it's been gorgeous this spring.

The snow is *filthy* on the lower mountain. If you're going to ride Bachelor, take Pine Marten up, go straight to Summit, and do laps up there till you are ready to leave. On your last run, go across the bowl and take Coffee down, it's the least dirty of the runs.