Note to New Members ×

New Shoes

Justin A.

These are THE most comfortable things I have ever worn on my feet. Ever. They're made by vibram, and were originaly concieved as a boating shoe, so they have amazing wet surface grip. It's a reasonably soft rubber in the sole, but that isn't what gives the traction, its the sipes that vibram cut into the sole that do that (think wet weather car tires) They suck water up into them so that the sole is sitting on a dry surface, but are thin enough as to not wear out the tread prematurley. Its just like walking barefoot, minus the healthcode violations at restaraunts. Anyone who likes to be barefoot or likes climbing, boating, beachbumming or basically anything outside (a guy just ran the Boston Marathon in a pair), you need to get them.

________

Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

post-141-141842217469_thumb.jpg

post-141-141842217471_thumb.jpg

post-141-141842217474_thumb.jpg

I wonder if you could surf in those things - how much do they stay 'stuck' on your feet? There are some pretty ragged reefs I've surfed in Mexico, where if you kicked the bottom, or even walking out to jump off to paddle, you would have a nasty laceration. But booties are a pain in the ass to surf with b/c the tend to fill up with water and feel like a pair of water balloons attached to your feet.

I wonder if you could surf in those things - how much do they stay 'stuck' on your feet? There are some pretty ragged reefs I've surfed in Mexico, where if you kicked the bottom, or even walking out to jump off to paddle, you would have a nasty laceration. But booties are a pain in the ass to surf with b/c the tend to fill up with water and feel like a pair of water balloons attached to your feet.

They stay pretty well attached, there's a drawstring on the heel that tightens the whole shoe up. Water Baloon syndrome isn't a problem since there really isn't much to them. The entire thing is skin tight, so the water doesn't stay in at all.

________

R69

I know that sometimes when I walk around barefoot, I sometimes stubb my toe and it friggin hurts! would these offer any protection?

they do help with that alot, it isnt like wearing a pair of shoes, but it does hurt ALOT less. They help with toe drag even more (when you're walking and too lazy to pick up your foot all the way and you drag your toe along the pavement-OUCH) because of the rubber that wraps around the front of each toe.

Gecko- Both of my parents have the Keen sandals and love them. As far as sandals go, Im absolutley in love with my Teva Wraptor II's. Theyre more open than the keens, but are still super secure becasue of the double closure (velcro then quick-release clip), and they have a wrap-up toe at the front that offers much needed protection there.

The best thing about the Fivefingers is that it feels like Im walking barefoot. Same barefoot motions too, like walking toe to heel and stuff like that. You can even feel the temperature of what you're walking on because of the thin sole. I was at the beach the other day, and I knew that the pavement was hot in the parking lot, and I could feel that the mud was really really cold once we got towards the water. They help strengthen your foot and lower leg muscles too because of the change in the way you walk.

________

Z1