Note to New Members ×

Old 1980's Plate bindings wanted

Dave ESPI

I have a 1982 Sims ACE 176 board that has the old style binding mounts that are not center plate mounted with the round disk like modern gear. I need a set of bindings for this board. Either soft boot or hard is fine. I will include a picture soon to show the screw alignments which are near the edges of the board and allow for 3 seperate setups. Thank you,

D.

This board might have ski screw mounting. It might have an aluminum plate where the bindings go instead of threaded inserts. Most boards that had that will have a diagram printed on the topsheet where the bindings are to be mounted sometimes with sugested angles. If it has that you will have to find a ski shop that can drill the board and tap it to install the screws that will hold the bindings in place. You will have to decide on stance width and angles before the board is drilled and will have to have it redrilled if you want to change things. You might be able to use a newer binding such as a Catek or bomber but you won't be able to change stance width without redrilling. I don't know if the bindings will stay put due to the fact that you will be putting more force on the plate with the stiffer binding.Don't try to do this yourself because it takes a special drill and screws properly installed for the bindings to stay on the board. I had several boards that were this way-Kemper apex asym ,Mistral 159 asym, Hooger Booger 164 asym, Morrow 175. The hot logicals were this way for a while. This was before the 4x4 insert pattern. The other option woud be to drill all the way through the board and bolt the bindings on with t nuts but you would have to countersink the nuts so they don't stick out on the base of the board. This will shorten the life of the board because you are making it weaker and moisture could go up into the core because of the exposed wood from the counter sinking. You might be able to find a shop that could install threaded inserts in the board but it would be a costly job. You are better off buying a board that has 4x4 inserts instead of messing with this one. I believe that the sims ace was an asym board as well so you need to know whether or not it is regular or goofy. If the bindings are not properly installed in the plate they will rip out of the board in short order- I know I had this happen due to improper instalation. I donated the Hooger and the Mistral to the Bomber Mueseum. The other problem with using this method is the older plate bindings tend to break in cold weather. I had a pair of snow pro Vario p3's shatter on the mistrall on a cold day. Wrecked hard and messed up my neck. If I remember right the sims ace had this mounting as I demoed 1 when they were out. I have seen a lot of changes in equipment since this is my 27th season riding. Be careful I would reccomend hanging this board on the wall .

if you go that route and they don't fit, let me know and I'll buy the bindings from you - would love to try to mount my old Inner-Course and I think those might fit. I've just bought too much gear this year to justify this one too...and it's a regular asym so no way I'd ever use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r4ahsam

Dave,

If the 176 ACE you have is an Asymetric board it was probably made in the early 90s. The Sno Pro bindings will probably not work because it was made for a board that was not pre-drilled. I also have a 176 Freeride ACE and Sims made both plate and soft bindings for it. It uses the old Sims hole pattern right before they went to the standard 4 hole design. You can still come across bindings that fit the board on E-Bay and at shops that have been around a long time and probably have stuff in their storage rooms. Good luck on the hunt.

Ralph