Note to New Members ×

Why are my Catek OS2's loosening?

crucible

I've been riding the Catek OS2's with standard bails for the past two months.

They're mounted on a Winterstick Cirque 162 circa 1996- and the angles are 52 front, 45 rear. The boots I use 75% of the time are old Raichle Concordia's, so I doubt it's because the boots are too stiff for the binding.

The front binding keeps getting loose in the canting pins every two weeks or so. I tighten all screws to the right specs every time, but only the front binding plate seems to loosen after use.

One thought I had was that the tension on the front and back bails might not be tight enough. I can feel them flex ever so slightly on a heelside carve, both in the front and back binding.

Interestingly, I have never had this problem on the my old Catek Olympics. I don't want to put loctite on the canting screws, because then I won't be able to adjust them quickly for other boots.

Any suggestions?

George

I mean absolutely no offense by this whatsoever, but wouldnt it be much more effective to email Catek? Jeff Caron is always willing to answer questions about his equipment

there are Catek users here, of course, but...it is the Bomber website...

just seems like going to the source would be a better idea

I've emailed Catek- I was just wanting some feedback from other carvers ho might have had this issue too.

fair enough.

did you check the catek forums, too? Just searching old posts, although it could very well be a different issue than on the previous Oly series.

fair enough.

did you check the catek forums, too? Just searching old posts, although it could very well be a different issue than on the previous Oly series.

while there are similarities with the OS1 the tightening/loosening of the pins on an OS2 has completely different causes and cures than the OS1. I say this because there is almost no info on the OS2 on the CATEK site. I would expect that there are more OS2 riders on this forum here than on the Catek forum. Nothing against Jeff just that that Bomber's forum is healthier and he will have a much better chance of learning an answer

1. What are your lift and cant settings?

2. Long or short kingpin?

3. How many spacers?

The key is to add +/- 1/4-turn to each of the tilt screws after your cant/lift settings are dialed and the kingpin has been tightened. That bit of tension via the tilt screws locks everything down tight.

If you're using the prescribed tension on your tilt screws, and you are still having the binding loosen, I suspect that your spacer stack may be too high for your chosen cant/lift settings. Pull a spacer and try it again, or uniformly advance the tilt screws until they are solidly seated in the tilt cups, then add the tensioning 1/4-turn to the tilt screws.

I was told by the guys at starting gatethat they had seen alot of loosening on the OS2's - they told me to carry a wrench and check everything every morning and after a few runs...never had to tighten any of the canting pins...just occasionally saw some looseness in the bolts holding the toe/geel pieces on...

Alright folks,

lets not turn this into another catek VS bomber thread. Both bindings rock, both have their strengths, both have their weaknesses.

To the question at hand. . . I have never experienced this, possibly because I strip my bindings off my board at the end of each period of riding, and I fiddle with my cant/lift setting more than once every 2 weeks. This means they always stay snug.

Go with what SWT says, run just a little more torque on the cant/lift screws.

I personally found that there was a wear in period on my OS2's. The cant/lift screw cups took a small set at first. after my first week of riding though, they found where they wanted to be.

-Todd

I got the cateks for my Alp/Proto, but didn't get to use them this year...

I got 'em mainly because I figured I needed some cant but didn't know how much and I figured adjusting as I needed was the way to go....

But, I found using the spacers kinda kept me from really cranking down the center bolt(kingpins?)

now remember, I haven't used them yet

How key are the spacers? I mean, the male and female fittings of the center bolt seem to fit together pretty firmly without them. I have gotten into my cateks and rocked my carpet without any movement in the bindings without having the spacers...

Front foot, smaller bolt, small toe lift, minimal inward heel cant...

Rear foot, larger bolt, no toe lift, minimal inward heel cant, lotsa heel lift....

follow the instructions on the use of the spacers. the LAST THING you want is for the kingpin to bottom out and dig into your topsheet! can ruin a board pretty quick!

Check carver's almanac - scott did a good photo step by step on the setup (It's in with the WTC photos)