Note to New Members ×

worst resort ever

CarvCanada

one word: Woodbury

300' vertical

summit elevation 850'

$549 season passes (what a bargain!)

Wow. My nearest "resort" has only 300' of vertical or so, only 3 runs (blue, red, black) and one draglift. It's only open weekends, too.

But when it's good, it's fscking awesome. Nice wide pistes that are pretty good for carving, if a little less than steep and not terribly wonderfully groomed, and no people. In February, when everywhere else has queues, you'll rarely find more than a couple of dozen people. If it's just dumped, you'll be out tracking fresh pow all day.

And at €1.50 for a day pass, who's bitching?

Honestly, I prefer it to most of the bigger resorts

"Les Rafforts" just off the road to Hery sur Ugine, in Savoie, France.

Simon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the subject of hills with little vertical... I suggest Glen Eden, just west of Toronto, Ontario. I learned to ski there when I was a tyke, then when Derek took me mountain biking for the very first time, the very first thing we did was bike up the hill I'd learned to ski on. It looks a lot smaller now that I'm a lot taller.

We've gone up a few times with the boards and the game is one time up you do as many turns as possible (course record is 18) and the next time as few as possible. I've done as few as 2. They're local, they have night skiing and you can go through the fence at the bottom, land on a freight train and be out west in 5 days.

trail map is at http://www.gleneden.on.ca/trailmap.shtml

beth

Beth, you're dissing my home "mountain"! There is far, far worse in Ontario. At least Glen Eden is home to Milton Heights Racing Club which actually has a snowboard racing program albeit BX only. Up until last year, they did have alpine and even managed to spawn a couple of top riders - Marianne Leeson and Claire Merry.

A shot of Marianne:

post-199-141842217466_thumb.jpg

Near Hunter Mtn (not too bad) in the Catskills of NY is/was a place called Cortina? Maybe someone remembers more than I. Ownership was "sketchy" is all I'll say for fear of broken knees and the sound of van doors sliding, if you get my drift. The hill was awful but the atmosphere/ambience was tense.

Its on the way up to Hunter pass it a couple of time....I dont even think its open anymore

McIntyre Ski Area: Manchester NH. All of 100' of vertical over about a 500' slope. They charge $25 for a lift ticket. 3 lifts, 3 trails. One surface tow bar that drags you up about 15' of vertical, and 2 chair lifts (only one ever runs at a time) that bring you up the main "mountain"- definitley less than 100' of vertical. they have 3 trails INCLUDING the 20' bunny slope and the terrain park-so basically one rideable trail. This is all on top of the 1/4 mile walk to the lift from the lodge. 5 minute ride up the hill for a 20-30 second ride down. And did I mention the $25 lift ticket? Heres a pic and it is the whole mountain:

This mountain makes George Bush flip out!

________

Mercedes-benz w110 history

post-141-141842217496_thumb.jpg

post-141-141842217497_thumb.jpg

had to add another one, www.powderridgect.com. Powder Ridge in CT. I ended up running their ski school last year, through some masive lapse in my own judgement. This place has 500' vert, which is seriously pushing it, and 75 skiable acres. It has essentially 1 run 15/6 if you're checkin ghte trail map,the other trails will open if it's an unusually high snow year. 1 ghetto triple lift that broke every other day, I actually worked on a day when none of the lifts worked for about 4 hours.

I heard from friends their this year that at one point the place was run entirely by elderly volunteers, because the owner couldnt find anyone to work. Last year at a "big air" comp they built the jump but forgogt to put the landing in for the big side of the kicker, and yes, 1 competitor fell off the jump and broke himself. It's horribly overrun by park rats-who cant even ride park. A fight over a rail turned into one punk kid pulling a knife on another kid.

Not only is this place super small, but apparently you can get stabbed there too

Indeed, Tremblant is an overpriced, overhyped, overcrowded, made for skiers mountain. It's steep at the top, flat at the bottom. Few trails are carving friendly. The only people that I know who like Tremblant are skiers and boarders who believe the hype (those who board because it's cool to do so).

Last time I went was a couple of years ago and one side was closed because of the weather. The time before that was sometimes around 1998 or so. It's alos the most expensive mountain in the province.

There are actually a couple of good carving runs - Alpine and Beauvallon - on the south side. They are blue square, wide and consistent pitch (at least at the top). The problem? They are usually packed with beginner skiers. Next time I'm in the area, I think I will try Grey Rocks. I've been going up to Tremblant since 1984 and I've always thought to try Grey Rocks but never have. I hear it's wide runs, consistent top-to-bottom pitch and cheap lift tickets. Anyone tried it?

I've never been tro Grey Rocks for two reasons:

-When I started snowboarding in the mid-nineties, it was a skiers only mountain, snowboards were not allowed. It stayed that way for several years.

-When you go that far, might as well go to Tremblant (so my friends said) or to Mont-Blanc (a little less far and a little bigger than Grey Rocks).

I have heard though that they have good snowmaking and grooming. I might be worth the try.