Note to New Members ×

skating and your feet- anyone else had this?

FTA2R

I wear skating shoes when I skate. Great for foot braking, but today the ball of my rear big toe starting bothering me a bit while pushing. I was on a flat trail so I did a lot of pushing with the rear foot, usually in spurts of 3-4 pushes at a time. I've found my Nike running shoes to be my comfortable for this, but less effective for braking. i have bony feet, although i suspect no one has much tissue there.

has anyone else exerpeienced this? why don't skate shoes have better cushioning there? i suppose i could add an insert but the shoe is already snug on me.

if i had no feet i wouldn't have these problems

you've got 2(possibly less, possibly none, or possibly more) little bones under your big toe called sesamoid bones. Sesamoid bones help hold tendons in place and your patella or knee cap is the biggest sesamoid bone in your body.

You've given yourself a case of sesamoiditis-the little guys are inflamed and I would pad the crap outta them or alter my technique to take away whatever stress you are causing them....

so as far as i can tell, this is only an issue when skating. my feet have not bothered me since.

re Neil's response, I tried pumping and it just "fizzled" out. Surely i could be doing it wrong, but is it possible my board (bozi mad bomber) isn't that conducive to pumping? I have very arched feet, perhaps that has something do with it. maybe i just need to do it more, get used to it or get some callouses. i usually only skate once or week or so.

thx for the replies. skatha is cool, like having a virtual dr. online. :biggthump the unofficial BOL Dr.

I have a bozi mad bomber as well, and I find it pumps, but because of it's length you have to be going pretty fast to keep up speed, and it's even harder uphill. I get the same foot pains you describe, but I usually only get it after a few hours of riding.

Surely i could be doing it wrong, but is it possible my board (bozi mad bomber) isn't that conducive to pumping?
Yeah, that board would definitely be a beast to pump. You'll want something shorter, preferably with some camber and flex. I use a straight-out slalom board. I've heard good reports from guys who ride the Insects though.

i should be able to demo some different boards Sat @ a skating event I plan to attend.

Neil S, that's not me (wish it was, though). It's the pic I took of Phil doing a railslide. I still have 2 vids of you and will try to get the racing on VHS. Have not had time/access to it this week. Shinbang I think is pretty much all gone. Thx for inquiring, hope all is well with you.

===

Barry