Note to New Members ×

Which flex for a Vanguard

wvrocks

I'm thinking about picking up a Loaded Vanguard this spring and I'm not sure which flex pattern to get it in. I'm about 260 lbs and dropping. Don't expect I'll ever be less than about 220-230. From their chart I should probably be riding a Flex #1. I've never ridden a longboard before and I'm wondering if I should go with a softer Flex #2 because of my lack of experience? Is a softer flex easier to learn on? Or is rider weight more important when selecting a board? Thanks

________

WASHINGTON MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

I'm no expert, been riding my Loaded for only two years, on and off. But in my opinion you'd best best off sticking with the stiffer flex. I tried a lesser flex board and it just felt like a noodle -- at even low speeds I was decambering the deck and it didn't feel good. I wouldn't be comfortable going on that board at higher speeds. Hope this helps,

tom.

I've got a Loaded Pin, Flex 4. Yes it is soft, but at sub-150lbs, it is just perfect for my weight and style. I would like to try a stiffer board, but don't see the need; it would only come in handy if I were going faster.

Contact Loaded, that's what I did. But at ~250ish, I think the Flex 1 is right up your alley. IIRC, flex 1 is for anybody over ~180lbs? Go for it.

What wheels/trucks will you be using? I've used Randalls and Seismics: Both offer very distinct ride/turn qualities, but for me, the Seismics win. But I don't bomb hills, I carve them at sub 15-20mph.

I was leaning toward the Flex #1. I think I'm going to go with Randal RII 180's with either Flashbacks or Gumballs in 75a or 78a. Probably Flashbacks to start with since they won't be quite as fast as the larger gumballs. I really have no base to make decisions on other than what I've read. How does the ride of the Seismics differ from the Randals?

________

Latinahorny4Ux

I'm thinking about picking up a Loaded Vanguard this spring and I'm not sure which flex pattern to get it in. I'm about 260 lbs and dropping. Don't expect I'll ever be less than about 220-230. From their chart I should probably be riding a Flex #1. I've never ridden a longboard before and I'm wondering if I should go with a softer Flex #2 because of my lack of experience? Is a softer flex easier to learn on? Or is rider weight more important when selecting a board? Thanks
Hi, I'm 5'9" 150 lbs and I have the Vanguard Flex 4. I would go with Flex 1 (check out the new Bamboo boards coming out soon). Flex is less important with skateboards because you can independently control the turning characteristics with what wheelbase, trucks, steering angles, and bushings/springs. True a flexier board will tend to turn tighter and be less stable at speed - but it's not true that having an ultra-stiff board is going to make it unwieldy to steer.

Randals and Seismic truck feel totally different. I personally prefer Randal 180s for the Vanguard, but strongly suggest replacing the stock bushings with barrel bushings from Khiro or Radikal. The barrel bushings have more material that the conical ones and so they squish more, giving you a more progressive resistance into your turn. A conical bushing is a little stiffer, so the board will tip over and turn immediately, which less spring back at the end. Some people LOVE seismics springs as they have a *very* progressive flex and a *strong* return to center (which reminds some people of the liveliness in a snowboard). I prefer having the liveliness in the flexy board (like Loaded) instead of my trucks. I didn't like Seismic because it didn't less me lean deep and sit in a carve for a long time (the springs really want to snap the board back to center/flat position). I've also ridden Tracker RTX/RTS and Crails, which are similar, but have slightly different feels.

For wheel, both the Flashbacks and Gumballs are nice wheels. The Gumball is are a little faster, but it's not really that big a difference at shallow slopes and shorter differences. What you will notice is the smoother ride... a Flashback is a very good basic wheel (easier to slide too) but the Gumballs are BIG, thick, cushy and roll forever. I would recommend them if you are just going to be pushing your board around on flatland to begin with, overwise the Flashback are a good option too. If you start doing steeper hills, you'll *need* to learn how to slide and the Flashback are easier to start off with.

Another question about trucks. What is the most common combination of truck angles on longboards? 45/45 front and rear, 45/30 f/r? Most of my riding will be on large sloping parking lots and fairly flat to rolling roads for now.
So it varies a lot with what you are doing. Most people and I personally prefer 45/30 as 45/45 makes the board feel like it has a lot of taper to it (the back end squirts around and turns really hard). Randals 180 come in 50 degrees (if you flip the hanger it's like 45 degree) and the DH 160 variant is 35 degrees I believe. You can buy wedges to increase/decrease the angle, although I don't suggest increasing it past 50 degrees. You can also adjust the steering base on the bushing or spring inside the truck (softer lets the board lean over more).

There are millions of combinations, so eventually you will have to just get a bunch of gear and try it out... it's not too bad as skateboard parts are relatively cheap... Randals cost $40 for a pair, Seismics $60 and you can buy/sell used very easily. Bushings are like $3-$4 a pair, Spring $8.

Again here, it's all a matter of personal preference.

I have both, and ride both, but for parking lot carving(Where I spend 95% of my time) I prefer the Seismics. I use 45/30 degrees, front and rear, with Flashbacks. I did try a 45/45 combo, but the back felt like it wanted to walk around the front.

This year, I'll put on those Grippins that have been collecting dust.

It sounds like you are going for Randalls, but if you do get some Seismics to try out, make sure you get some heavier weight springs. I use Red springs for my weight/style, but I would think you will need purple, or thereabouts.

If I were doing higher speed stuff, the Randalls win in my book. However, I have not swapped out the stock Randall bushings, so I cannot comment on how they ride 'modified' at slower speeds.

Lonerider talks about the Seismics wanting to snap back to center ... During transitions, they are very fast returning to center, but I have no trouble holding a deep carve. In fact, that's one of the reasons I didn't like the Randalls (Stock bushings): They felt too imprecise and sloppy for deep carving.

That said, Lonerider makes a very good point about trying gear: Relatively speaking, skate gear is cheap. Try out a bunch of stuff and find out what works for YOU. I have a whole bunch of extra Seismic truck parts sitting around from finding a setup I liked. Just like in any sport, everyone has their own preferences and desires. What works for one person won't work for the next.

Most importantly: Have fun. :)

Is this going to be your first skateboard or first one in quiet a few years?

If so, then I feel a limited flex is the best option. Don`t get me wrong, the Vangaurd is the most ridden board in my quiver but I think there are better alternatives for learning/relearning the basics.

Flex is good once you have the skills to use it but it can be a little un-nerving to learn on because of the way it changes the turning circle in such a dynamic way.

I also feel a dropped deck is more stable while getting the basics down pat, have a look at the dropped decks from Subsonic here. When you get really good you can use that same deck as a dedicated downhill bomber.

http://home.pacifier.com/~buzzer/curvecode/subsonic.html

You can talk to him and see what he thinks might be the best option for you.

Also, have a read of Longboarding 101 here.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/index.php?topic=101

Which ever way you go just know that you`ll probably end up with a quiver, just like snowboarding.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a guy who is organizing wholesale purchases of boards... this week it's Loaded Vanguards you can sign up at (http://www.longboarddirectory.com/top_secret.html) and you will get a link to the buy page. There were some questions about the legitimacy of the deal, but if you go to the Loaded webpage, they validate that the deal was setup. (http://www.loadedboards.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?page=Special.html). I got one myself.