Note to New Members ×

Exploring my options for next year...

tex1230

So with the season coming to a rapid halt, Mrs. Tex and I have been looking at our options for next year. Stratton is by far my favorite mountain, but we want to find a place where our son will be happy. He really had a bad experience in the Stratton ski school, and he still refuses to get on a snowboard.

So I'm looking for advice from the Ice Coast contingent: What is the best race development program for little kids? (also freestyle - he keeps switching between Bode Miller and Tanner Hall as his favorite skiers)

Preferably Southern or Central VT or NH...reasonably priced passes a plus, and decent seasonal rental housing.

I've looked at Stratton, Okemo, Mt Snow, and Killington, but even after 9 years out here I'm still extremely uneducated about the smaller mountains. I'm looking at Bretton Woods as well, but any other opinions on this would be appreciated.

Bretton Woods has a great program going for them, but by far the BEST program in the area is at Cannon Mt.. Cannon is exit 34C off of I-93 and it has the absolute best riding in the state. Its never crowded (by other mountain standards its always EMPTY), except superbowl sunday. They have a GREAT racing program, not so much on the freestyle. Its a state run mountain like Sunapee was. Speaking of sunapee, they have a great freestyle program over there.

On second thought, you don't want to go to Cannon. At least, don't tell your friends that you do. I don't want the masses to realize its a great mountain. The biggest thing is not to be intimidated by the Front Five- the five steep trails on the front of the mountain facing the highway. These five trails are probally single handedly responsible for the low crowds, and I like it that way.

________

Glass bubblers

sugarloaf looks awesome...but I'm thinking 6 hours from Stamford CT? - a little too much for every weekend.

He's 5 - will be 6 before next season starts. Little Ripper. Caught his first air at Okemo 2 weeks ago...then tried a 3 after he saw an instructor do it...crashed pretty hard but got up laughing like crazy going "Dad, did you see that! I almost made it! Let's go again!"

cannon is just great. A big variety of trails and pretty cheap. Right at the front desk they have an old picture of a hardbooter carving on a vintage oxygen. I had some of the carving out there. Loon on the other hand...well, don't go there unless 25 minute lift lines sounds appetizing.

My friend told me that Sunday River has one of the better racing school other than the loaf. Good luck!