Note to New Members ×

Donek Freecarve I 163

Mike T

Donek Freecarve I 163

This is the narrower, 18 cm waisted model.

$285 plus shipping... which would be about $14 via USPS priority anywhere in the lower 48 states, other methods may vary. (I live in the middle of nowhere, so UPS or FedEx would go through a third party, more $$$)

I think I've got 40 - 50 days on it, since 11/2001. I am the original owner. It's had two stone grinds. The base is in good shape, a couple of minor scracthes that I think are too small to ptex - a base grind would erase them. The edges are also in good shape - there are a few small burrs, but nothing major, and certainly nothing a good tune won't take care of. I've waxed it often (on average every 6 - 8 hours of snow time) and generally taken good care of it.

The chip on the topsheet shown in the picture was a result of some idiot running into me from behind. It happened on my second day on the board, the chip hasn't grown at all, or impacted the board's performance.

I'm thinning the quiver, I find I prefer my Axis 172 or my Coiler PR 184 on any given day.

P.S. If anyone would like to photoshop the pix for me, and brighten them a bit, I'd be happy to use the improved versions! Just email 'em to me (mt@tovino.com) and I'll upload them.

I may be interested, but need some advice. I currently have a 162 Lamar Power (freeride). I ride in MN and CO mostly, and it is a combo of ice/crud and small amounts of powder. I am considering purchasing a stiffer freeride board new, like the Donek Incline, or a used alpine board (no experience with Alpine). Would this board be an okay starter? Can a board like this be ridden in non-groomed terrain? What about size - I'm 5'10", 160lbs.- is this the right size board? Also, do you have boots/bindings for sale, or can you recommend some? Let me know. Thanks!

This was the board I started alpine on. Well, actually, I had a couple of partial days on a Liquid 159 slalom first, which I hated, and then I bought this one, and it served me very well for my first two years of riding alpine. It has a tight sidecut - 10 meters - not as tight as a freeride board, but tighter than many alpine boards - which makes it good starter alpine - you won't pick up too much speed and you can concentrate on your technique. Should be fine for 160 pounds.

I used Catek World Cup bindings on the board, you could use pretty much any plate binding you want. The favorites on this forum seem to be Bomber Trenchdiggers, naturally... I want to get a pair sometime myself. I'd sell the Catek World Cups with the board, $150 including extra mounting hardware. Boots - can't help you there, but post your size and I'm sure people will come out of the woodwork!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm still weighing whether I should go the full Alpine path or try a stiffer freeriding board for all-purpose and get a full Alpine set-up at a later time. The variety of riding I do probably requires a better all-around board first, then move to Alpine when I can justify buying new bindings, boots, and the whole set-up.

Let me know if you get real eager to sell and haven't had any offers - if I can find affordable boots & bindings it may still be an option.

Thanks.

Mike T -

wish I could. I really like that board and the price seems right. I'm buying an Incline for now (as you probably saw from my other post), and may try to do "real alpine" next season. Since I'm new to it, and the MN area isn't very alpine-oriented, I will break in slow. As a younger rider I like to be doing something a little different than all the park junkies, but I probably will wait to go to hardboots until i understand carving a little better, so when I try it I won't make carving look like a misguided effort. Maybe I'll end up trying plates on the Incline, then look for a Freecarve later. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice - sounds like you have some experience in this arena, and apparently you've used some of the same boards I'm interested in.