Note to New Members ×

approach skis/splitboard

CarvCanada

Alright I am going to be doing plenty of backcountry riding in soft boots, and I can't make the 1000$ decision between a splitboard or approach skis. Here are the factors: I'm going to be riding often very light powder, making ascents of sometimes more than 20 degrees in mostly deep snow. I'd like to be able to switchback pretty easily on up to 30 degree stuff, and follow ridges of sometimes 20 degrees. I am riding about 800ft-1200ft sometimes 1500+ft of vertical, but most often just lapping the sweetest areas of 800ish ft vertical.

Splitboards are obviously so much cooler, and float is going to be a huge issue. I would definately even consider riding a longer board than normal (175ish) just for the float while skinning. I really like the idea of the conveniance of approach skis with their own softboot bindings on pivots, ready to go straight off the pack. Will they float though!? They look like they don't have too much surface area on them, even the 130cm ones. Are there any that are really wide and maybe 140cm? I really haven't seen too many approach skis around, only snowshoes/splitboards.

The conversion time of splitboards is a bit discouraging, especially since I ride medium vertical often with skiers. The absolute main issue is floatation though. I want to get up easily and fast through the deep and steep.

Thanks for advice. by the way, thank you all that is Divine for the 40+" the past week in Northern vermont :)

You know my vote goes for the split in those conditions, esp. if you are riding any of those trees in the background of your avatar. Hiking uphill on short skis w/a board on your back whilste dodging trees is a real pain. Do you want them to wait for you while you get to the top, or wait while you reassemble things?

Guest jschal01

For lapping, I might just go with Verts and setting a sraight-up pack with them. If you have a bud or two to share the load it's not that inefficient, & for subsequent laps you'll be able to keep up with people on skins for the most part.

Even Karhus would not be fun in the soft snow you describe. Assuming you really will primarily be going out in good snow, why not split an existing stick to save $$? Otherwise, splitboard. And www.splitboard.com.

I think I've been sold on the split for a while now, I just really didn't know whether there exists some wide-ass and long approach skis for deep and steep... it would just eliminate the conversion. But I can see that having my heavy-ass solid board sticking 3 ft above my head would be ridiculous in the lower sections of my VT backcountry... tiiiiiight trees :) Plus I want one of those Khybers anyway :) we shall see...

Approach skis will suck in those conditions. I had a pair and in light deep fluffy snow I might as well have been postholing in my boots. I sold them to Zach Davis who does way more backcountry than me in a wide variety of conditions so he has some use for them. Zach should weigh in on this subject, he's the "Earn Your Turns" expert. You can find him here if you look.

Guest Zach Davis

You rang??

Seriously... a few things:

1. I wouldn't spend any time in the backcountry with people who stress out over change-over times... that just drives me nuts. 2 minutes won't ruin anyone's day, and taking a few extra minutes at the otp is usually pretty fun... unless the conditions suck.

2. It sounds like you'd be well served by a splitboard... My take, in general, is that splitboards are great for 80% of the softboot riders out there. With soft boots, you won't even notice any difference on your feet, except for the weight, unless you are going to high altitudes or doing really scary terrain... then, you'll want approach skis and a solid board.

Right now, my system of choice is the Karhu Metas, with Dynafit toe peices and Voile heel lifters. I also T-nutted a set of skins to the bottoms of them. I'm also prototyping some collapsable approach skis in the 130 to 135cm range... hope to have something to show the world by next winter.

Also, consider your personal strengths when deciding on approach skis vs. splitboards... My squat strength and back strength are far greater than my forward hip flexors and my ankles... so, it's easier for me to have less weight on my feet and more on my back. Fortunately, there are a lot of options.

Zach

GO WITH THE SPLITBOARD FOR SURE :biggthump ..I have used both and there is no comparison in the two....the split out shines the skiis in a BIG WAY...climbing and floating....i have used both.......i currently have a Prior 165 kyber and no longer use approach skiis....Riding with skiis on your back is just extra weight that shifts around while your ripping and more S H I T to fall on for those big B/C airs :p .The kyber is the smallest of my powder boards yet floats and out performs anything i have ever ridden....i can say enough about this board :1luvu:

P>S the changeover time gets alot faster the more you do it.....tell your buds to chill..besides its not a rush game when your out in the B/C!!!!!