Note to New Members ×

Suggestions on first board.

kirtap

Hey all,

I've been boarding for a few years, softboots, and i want to make the switch to an alpine board, with hard boots. I've seen them on the slopes and have wanted to try for some time now. The only problem is no local shops sell alpine equipment. Does anyone have suggestions on a first set, board, binding and boots. I am about 5' 7" and 140 lbs.

My son who is about 155 lbs just started on alpine a rides a Sims Burner 162 and does quite well for a beginner on that guy and loves it. Other boards frendly to your size and beginning would be Burton Alp in a 157, Nitro Blazer 159, Prior 4x4 ( I personally have one of these and is one of my favorites)

hope it helps and good luck and lets us know how you do and what you rode.:D

P.S. Buy a used set of TD 1s step ins - you can always sell them for what you paid for them!! And check out Ebay for a pair of Raichle AF 600 or 324 and get a new Intec heel peice from bomber for the step ins. You'll be good to go for a very long time.

Go. Meet lots of people on alpine boards, there are SURE to be demo's and people willing to show how to NOT to fall flat on your face every time you try to turn the board. Not only will you get to try it out before investing into a whole new setup, but you will also be able to try different boards and decide what you like.

And that's the best advice I can give ya!

I have the Aggression/Volant SL Race 161 with a stainless steel top sheet. This coupled with a pair of Bombers has an esthetic is like it should be in the Museum of Modern art.

There is the 154cm all mountain version on eBay right now for $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3655813163&category=21250&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

This is a very stiff board with a wicked fast black graphite base.

Just a thought. I'd be curious to hear what anyone else has to say about these boards.

post-675-14184219657_thumb.jpg

Unless you have no fear of extreme speed, I recommend making sure your first board is not too stiff. The stiffer the board, the more speed you need to lay it into a turn, and the less time you have to receover if you make a mistake.

My first alpine board was an older Liquid slalom board, it was a 159 but extremely stiff. I took it out 3 or 4 times and really didn't enjoy it. On that last day, I bumped into another hardbooter at the mountain who suggested the board was too stiff to learn on.

I then moved to a Donek FC 163, which was definitely softer and friendlier. In retrospect even that board was probably on the stiff side for the way I progressed... I prefer learning at the slowest speed at which something works, and then adding speed later.

You weigh 140 pounds so everything is going to feel stiffer to you than a 175 or 190 pound rider.

Of course, if you're a speed demon you might be comfortable on a stiffer board than I was when starting out. But even then, slowing it down can be advantageous for correcting technique problems!