Note to New Members ×

New Tomahawk snowboards (w/ titanal) are available to US buyers!

gdboytyler

For the past year or so, I had been planning on getting a custom Donek. Then, the Olympic success of the Schoch brothers and their Kessler snowboards, made me want to get a titanal construction snowboard also.

However there was no info (in English) on how to buy a Kessler and the boards are very expensive.

From BOL posts, I found out that Tomahawk also does titanal construction. I then got the Tomahawk email address from RicHard, who had just bought a Tomahawk in Italy.

The Tomahawk contact is Sigi and his email address is (Sigi replied to my emails within a day):

tomahawksnowboards@hotmail.com

The price for a custom Tomahawk (w/titanal construction) is 670 Euro + 170 Euro to ship to the US. So cost of board + shipping = $1,011. It will take around 3 weeks to get the board made.

In the end, I decided to go with the original plan and ordered the custom Donek. I'll post a review when I receive the Donek.

Is it really a bad decision? Its been mentioned before that titanal boards are best used by racers and those who don't race will probably not appreciate its finer qualities. The average freecarver should be pretty satisfied with a non-titanal board. Of course if money were no object.....why not.

Personally I think you made a bad decesion about passing on a titinal board, but it's up to you.

Given my experiences to date, I might make the same decision.

I demoed a Prior Metal @ SES. I very much appreciated the ride, and make no mistake about it, I would own one right now (or perhaps a Coiler version?) if I lived on the Ice Coast.

But in less-firm snow and varied conditions, for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, I feel more comfortable on Donek Olympic and Coiler Superboard.

I really like the Donek Olympic (I have the FCI 175 w/ it) on firm stuff, especially badly-groomed first stuff. It's very precise and forgiving at the same time. The ride is very quiet. But still very supportive.

Is it really a bad decision? Its been mentioned before that titanal boards are best used by racers and those who don't race will probably not appreciate its finer qualities. The average freecarver should be pretty satisfied with a non-titanal board. Of course if money were no object.....why not.

The shape of the Kesslers is what makes them more geared for racing than freecarving. Not the construction. The ride titinal combined with other materials makes for a better ride.

I started the thread because I read a BOL classified post that said Tomahawk boards would be tough to get in the US, which is not true. So I posted the info for any other perspective buyers.

I didn't go with the Tomahawk with titanal construction because after some thinking, I decided not to be an early adaptor for titanal. I'll wait a couple seasons and see how durable titanal boards are when owned by recreational riders.

I didn't consider Coiler because of the long lead time. Tomahawk and Prior were the ones I was considering for a titanal board.

Since I already owned a Donek Freecarve, getting a custom Donek with Olympic construction seemed less risky.