Note to New Members ×

Catek Freestyle bindings on an alpine board?

Grayp

I've got a set of Freeride Pro's that I put on my soft boot board (Prior MFR 158) but I have only ridden them 2 days so I can't really comment apart from saying that they are very stiff and they have plenty of height off the deck which helps for carving.

Ask KJL because he rides with them on his soft boot board at fairly high angles and could probably give a good recommendation.

The heelcup can be rotated but not very far - still works for me with my front foot at 39 but I think if I even went up to 45 and leaned towards the nose on a heelside turn the boot would slip right around the heelcup.

For a toeside you'd need to replace the highback with a locking one and stick a 3rd strap on there - I already lost lots of power when I tried setting mine at 45/30 or so.

Even if you can set up the bindings so they don't drag you won't have enough power with soft boots on an alpine board to really enjoy it. You are better off using plates and hard boots on an alpine board. I have seen people use k2 clicker boots on a Burton asym race board. Why? Use your soft bindings the way they were intended.

I've ridden a Nidecker Escape 174 with Catek Freerides. Not a full on carving setup, but pretty close. I don't have the stiffest soft boots around, and was able to crank turns no problem. It was actually the first time I was ever able to grab an edge in a heelside turn. I rode the front binding somewhere around 45 deg. Granted, it wasn't the best for side support, but it did work.

Greg