Note to New Members ×

Slope test: Rad-Air Tanker vs. LSD

Helvetico

I just got back from a two-week skifari in Austria (Kitzbuehel, Stubai Glacier, Axamer Lizum, etc.), during which I rode two new boards: a Tanker 182 and a Reto Lamm 164. I used Nidecker Carbon 900's for both and Salomon Synapse Wides (nothing else will fit my troglodytic 9EEE feet).

Impressions:

:1luvu: Tanker 182: Wow! This is the most versatile board I've ever been on, and I've rented everything on the planet. Medium flex is ideal for powder, yet handles piste carving very, very well, absorbing bumps like nobody's business. I'd like to add a 200 for even more flotation, but the 182 is fine for everything except the flattest runs. Also works like magic over really flat piste areas, saving me the trouble of unhooking the board and skating along.

Reto Lamm 164: Stiff as hell and very frustrating in the powder. Shorter length than the Tanker makes piste turning easier; shorter effective edge (than Tanker) reduces edge hold on ice and reduces high-speed stability. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't trade it for a 2m Tanker.:confused:

Nidecker Carbon 900's: I rode the train halfway across Switzerland to buy these, and it was worth it. Asymmetrical design and adjustable highback allow for more aggressive forward angles. I'm running 27 front and 15 back goofy, and I have amazing support.

Questions: I can't get Catek freerides for the LSD, so I'm considering a pair of stiff Flows in order to make it my strictly hardpack board.

• Do the Flows provide more or less lateral support than the 900's?
  • Any thoughts on ideal binding positioning for piste carving/general riding?

Thanks

Helvetico,

Glad you are stoked on the Tanker...I would say go for the 200 vice the lsd (but either way you can ride both boards with plates too). As for the binding question you asked here are some thoughts.

- My experince with the 900's is that they are a better binding than the flows and provide a much better/quicker response than any of the flows and are a lot stiffer as well as lighter.

- If you can wait until this fall, I would look at getting the Catek Freeride2's when they come out as this will be the ultimate setup (but the 900's are going to be lighter just they won't have cant/lift adjustment...wish someone would build a 4 hole universal cant that was stronger than the burton one).

cheers.

Flow verses Carbon Fiber 900

I have the 2006 Flow Pro 11 FR ($190 and my first pair of Flows ever) and have put in about 20 days on them so far. I also ordered the Nidecker upgrade straps from Catek and bolted them to one of the best bases I know of: The Ride all metal LS/LX/EX base in an attempt to create the best strap setup east of the rockies. Well, I rode them for the first time today but I find that the straps are pretty lame. I actually like the base Ride straps better than the Catek upgrade straps by a small margin. Definitely not worth the money and the bother. As for the Flow verses the Ride/Nidecker-900-strap hybrid I created. Well, there really isn't any. The Flow is halfway to a hardboot. You can't compare a flow to a hardboot, of course. But neither can you compare a Flow to a strap binding. Its between the two.

By the way, my friend at work bought the high end Flow Pro XFR ($300). Oddly enough it is the same base as the PRO 11 but has a lighter highback (same stiffness though) and a different instep pad. But this is the odd part. That instep pad is softer than the lower end Pro 11 freeride. I haven't ridden it but it sure feels like a flexier setup to me.

Be careful buying Flows though. You got to get a perfect fit AND you got to have a compatible boot. For example, my daughter's Ride BOA's are totally flow hostile. Not a chance you are getting that boot into a Flow binding. My '99 Burton Rulers fit perfectly. So be careful purchasing Flows. Its not a slam dunk. You could get skunked bad if you don't purchase very carefully.

Hope this helps a bit,

Sic

Hi Helvetico,

Pretty impressive that you found yourself in a position of being able to demo these two boards. You're lucky, Europe is the only place that I know of that you can do that (or my demo program here in the states :D ).

I'll agree with your impressions of the Tanker 182, one of the most versatile boards on the planet. The fun factor is a 10!

As for the LSD, it's intended use is for speed carving and all-mountain use with a bent towards BX racing. Basically a board that you can take anywhere on the mountain and still lay it over at will. I'm over 200 pounds and it will hold me in a carve at speed! Not designed for powder, definitely trade it in for the Tanker 2k if you want if for that. Although I've not had too much of a problem with it since I don't take it out on pow days.

As for the bindings, I don't ride the nideckers, but I've only heard good things. The flows are great for those of us that hardboot, they have a feel that is between softies and hardboots. I agree with sict2 grab your boots and board and take them with you if you want to buy flows. It's much easier to set them up in the shop and find out they don't work than if you have to do it in your living room and then take 'em back.

Who knows what next season will bring with the Cateks? I'm going a buy a bunch, have only been happy with Cateks stuff so far.

Now lets hope that at some point Bomber gets into the softboot market. :eplus2:

Reto Lamm 164: Stiff as hell and very frustrating in the powder. Shorter length than the Tanker makes piste turning easier; shorter effective edge (than Tanker) reduces edge hold on ice and reduces high-speed stability. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't trade it for a 2m Tanker.:confused:

Crikes! That makes me feel a bit like a weirdo then.:eek:............:confused:

I have both a LSD 164 and a Tanker 200 and I reckon I can do twice the speed on the LSD. I find the Tanker gets the shakes at high speed on groomers and I have not found the top speed on the LSD yet.

Don`t see much ice in Japan so I don`t really know about that one yet.

I have both a LSD 164 and a Tanker 200 and I reckon I can do twice the speed on the LSD. I find the Tanker gets the shakes at high speed on groomers and I have not found the top speed on the LSD yet.

Don`t see much ice in Japan so I don`t really know about that one yet.

I have the LSD 156 and while the shorter length is softer, has a shorter SCR, and less effective edge - I have to say I'm very impressed with it's stability at speed and the smooth, confident way it cuts through chop over frozen hardpack. Of course, thanks to RJ, next weekend I'm trying out a Tanker 172 so who knows.

Right-on SurfinSmiley,

I've had others similarly impressed with the LSD. You're not the first to say "I couldn't find the speed limit!"

There are so few of them in the world, and 05-06 is the last year that Rad-Air made them.

If you have one, don't let it go!