Note to New Members ×

Psychological speed limits: My breakthrough

Tommy D

The subject pretty much sums it up: I had a breakthrough this weekend in carving.

Until Saturday at Haystack, my riding was inhibited by a self-imposed limit on how fast I was comfortable riding. The limit wasn't anything I had set consciously, but was borne out of a lack of confidence in my skill and fear of being out of control. I'm used to going fast and railing turns on skis, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it on a snowboard. What caused me to see the light? A friend is at about the same point in his riding as I am, but he doesn't have any problem going fast. I resolved myself to keeping up with him, and it worked. (If he can do it, so can I!)

Another thing that helped considerably was a slight change in my setup: I changed the cant disk (from 6 to 3 degrees) under my back foot, and that helped to get my body in the correct position.

Actually, looking back over what I just wrote makes me think this could be a chicken and egg paradox: Did the change in my setup give me the confidence I needed, or did lifting my mental block allow me to ride more efficiently?

At any rate, Saturday was a blast! The conditions ranged from packed powder to windblown-crusty-firm to ice, but the mountain was wonderfully uncrowded and the sky was sunny and clear.

Happy trails! :)

Guest dragonfly jones

A few of my riders experienced the same thing on Saturday! I don't know if was life changing, but what they took away from that day will stick with them and the confidence gained was priceless.

I could not be any prouder of their effort and intensity, if your anything like them in your breakthrough I take my hat off to you and offer sincere congratulations!

Keep makin turns!

DFJ

Guest woodman

is a little "push" from another source to get you over those mental "blocks" or "humps" we experience from time to time. I found the same thing happened to me when riding street bikes when I was younger. I had reached my comfort limit and was unable to break through to the next level until I went out riding with a guy I happen to run into on supposedly "inferior" equipment. After he soundly smoked my ass on my favorite road, I was determined to learn his secret, so I humbled myself and assumed the role of student in order to gain that missing piece of the puzzle. After many weekends of riding in his wake or having him pressure me unrelentlessly from behind I was finally able to get my mind wrapped around the idea of going beyond my limits and letting go of my fear. We used to use the term "trust your tires" as a way of saying, hey you've gotta let it hang out a little if you want to progress. I'll never forget the day I beat him down a stretch of his favorite road!!! You couldn't have slapped the smile off of my face:D I also found myself pushing my limits this weekend with my new Alpine set-up. I finally was able to get cranked over on my heelside enough to "touch down" on the snow. I had made the mental decision to "trust" my set up and go for it. The gear is mostly responsible for my break through, better equipment still equals better riding in my book, but it took the commitment on my part to push through and stretch my limits yet again. Congrats and keep on pushing........a little at a time!

Good carving,

Paul