Note to New Members ×

anti-alpine sentiment- do the jibbers feel threatened? awww

FTA2R

Look at my avatar, you will notice I was kidding. Sad thing is that alpine boards DO break easier than boards used for softboots. A second frontflip and the board was broken...It is getting too expensive: in August I also hit a fully covered stone when freeriding on my custom-made Slalom board. That's why I decided to put my hardboots onto my F2 Eliminator on a BoarderX race - a friend of mine having the same titanal slalom board as mine nicely bent it after landing a big kicker.

Suggestion for hardboot boards for doing bigjumps, halfpipe, etc. etc. are very welcome! I already know that F2s break easily. My Hot Blast lasted for a long time, though!

Erwin

everything breaks, I have trashed my share or boards, most of them were freeride boards though

any stick with metal in it I feel is prone to breakage be them skis, alpine snowboards or softboot setups

back in the late 90s when I went to burton reactors from Raichle SB series boots is when I broke a couple alpine boards, I suspect from the added stress that a stiffer boot put on the board/binding interface caused some stuff to explode

so my suggestion goes like this, wood core boards without funky dohickies under the topsheet, a softer boot and softer binding, hopefully this would distribute the force of impacts out a little so that weak point in your setup does not explode

this is just my theory though

Thanks Bob, that's a good suggestion to try! Most of the times I do not buckle up my boot to the max when freeriding/jumping. I broke my Hot when using my Cateks, next time I'll use a softer binding. I think the eliminator is a very nice board, however it is a little bit wide for hardboots.

I've once tested a Sigi Grabner board, the Speed.62. Not a lot of rebound and therefore forgiving on bumpy slopes. It was a very comfortable ride and for sure a board I would take off-piste. According to Grabners philosophy it should be a great board for freeriding. As a raceboard I would like it to have some more rebound, though. However, this board is also pretty expensive: Euro 669.-

Two weeks ago, a friend of mine (see attachment) competed in the halfpipe contest at the Dutch Champs in Laax (CH) and did a run on his hardboots. I only heard positive reactions, also from the freestylers. People really look up to this, but it really is not hard to do. After the contest, me (I was on softies...) and my friends on hardboots dropped in, too and we had a lot of fun!

I do not care about those freestylers mentioned before and yes I want to prove it is possible to have fun with an alpine deck when not riding perfectly carved turns. The only real advantage softbooters have is a more comfortable walk when they are done with snowboarding.

post-148-141842215145_thumb.jpg