Note to New Members ×

Can I mail my board somewhere for a base job?

DrCR

My OSin 4807 is really convex, and I've just simply gotten tired of trying to sand it down. I thought about getting that flattening/structure tool from togar, but I figured I would put the money towards a good shop job.

Is there a place I can mail my board to have it flattened and structured for me? I can take care of the rest (edges, wax, etc.) from there, no probem.

I think I've heard of a place now and then on the forums here. PTC I think it was...?

Thanks,

DrCR

P.s. Why don't I got to a local shop? Well being in the southeast, I wouldn't trust any shop in my area with my boards.

BOL users are enthusiastic about PTC and I have to agree. I sent a freeride deck out there this summer for base repair and grind and it came back in fabulous shape, better than new even. I'd done enough damage to the base (due to a very sketchy snow year in the Pac NW last season) that it was basically unrideable, and now I can't even tell where the patches went in.

Hey, if it's good enough for <a href="http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=9589">Michelle Gorgone and Rosey Fletchter</a>, it's good enough for me.

Awesome, thanks guys. :biggthump

Ummm. Isn't that board supposed to be convex? I know at the nose it certainly is.

No, just the nose. ;)

A convex base will feel sloppy, hard to get on edge. And potentially a little unpredictable if you're trying to ride straight – you’re never quite sure which way the board is going to roll and resultantly turn.

I didn't have too much trouble with the board when I went to MtHood since I sought out powder, but on a few harder-pack areas it was a bear to ride.

Guest rick ferguson

how does it ride?, I have boards that are twisted, concave , bowed, all that matters is the ride. There are a lot of anal people who live to have perfection, thus a flat bottom makes or breaks the board. If your carving , your on the 2-3" mark from the rail, 1/32" is'nt going to bust your balls. I deal with this same mind set in surfing. As a surfboard builder, I deal with the same issue's as donnek, coiler, prior. So much tech stuff that is really not the issue, most (90%) of the time it's appealing to the persons "lack" of ability. Remember, once you take off material on a out -of-production board, you can't put it back. So it's concave, does it ride well??

So it's concave, does it ride well??
I didn't have too much trouble with the board when I went to MtHood since I sought out powder, but on a few harder-pack areas it was a bear to ride.

It wasn't horrible, but definitly no fun on hardpack. A biggy was that since I couldn't work on the base edge, only the side edge, I basically had zero grip.

I know what you mean about removing ptex though. I'm thinking about picking up another 4807 to mod, possibly a 178 even though I'm only 150lbs.

DSub, why handtools only? A stone grinder's insufficiently precise? I know they say not to stone grind a base like the 4807s...but can't you hand tweak the tune in post-grinding? Sorry, coming from someone who's done all their own work, but never encountered a board that didn't require more than a sandpaper job.

I've had 2 of these boards and both have fallen apart on me. The craftmanship is terrible and the quality is quite poor. I would frankly put your money into buying a new board and use your current one for rocky days.

Ah a joke, OK. Maybe you could still shead some light on why the EC guys say not to stone grind an electra base?

I've had 2 of these boards and both have fallen apart on me. The craftmanship is terrible and the quality is quite poor.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably just sandpaper it a little more and then consider it as good as it's going to get.

I'm with you on putting the money toward a better board (maybe something like the ATV, hum...) since a PTC tune would cost me more than I paid for the board lol.

DrCR