Note to New Members ×

MADD 158--Any suggestions???

Guest thewizza

Guest thewizza

I rode an old style MADD 158 this week and WTB something as similar to it as possible. Love the snap and love the edge hold on hard packed condition. Any suggestions on where I can get that board or something similar?

Guest thewizza

I was actually riding with a friend who has both the old 158 and the new 170 and the 170 seems to be a lot softer. He also confirmed that it does not offer the same ride as the 158. Can you confirm this? I would not mind a 170 if it has the same compostion as the old 158.

I was actually riding with a friend who has both the old 158 and the new 170 and the 170 seems to be a lot softer. He also confirmed that it does not offer the same ride as the 158. Can you confirm this? I would not mind a 170 if it has the same compostion as the old 158.

I've never ridden an old 158, but I am quite confident the new 158 and 170 are very similar if not identical construction. Personally, I think the 170 is easier to ride than the 158, due to a larger "sweet spot", but it still rips very tight turns. It's a weapon on ice.

The 158 and 170 are very differant boards

What makes the 58 so good is the rubber in the nose and external

Torsion forks.

I have ridden most demo deck from Madd and have not found anyone

that has the same feel.

Just .02

Alan

Jack

Mike has been trying to duplicate the 158 for years, and he is getting close.

I used to test for him, and will again on his next batch. I hope to have a cpl demo boards built while he is

overseas.

While it is true that his newer board have the torsion control and some

dampening components, the flex of the newer decks and riding characteristics

are differant than the 158,,,,The other thing the 158 had going for it was the dimentions,,,very dialed in for the race market,,,,the new dimentions don't fit the race market, they really cater to the free-rider,, and I think you will see some change in running length, E. edge,

side cut, overall flex, ect

Again just my .02

Alan

If I could have kept my MADDS I would have but like everyone knows they hold their value.. Theres a reason for that.. they chop ice like theres no tommorow.. YOU can go wrong with eaither but like jack says ,,the 170 is longer so it does have a larger sweet spot..makes it easier to ride...

I will in time have to replenship the stock but I had no choice really..

The 170 is the versitle one!!! the 158 feelsss stiffer..much shorter.. Different ride.. Both work well...but for less work the 170 has been the choice of Most!

They go quick,, cause they be good... and at Jack's offering price you can't go wrong..if you don't like it you probably will get your money back by selling it..

So you could probalby buy it and ride it then sell it at a good resale..

I can't wait till I can get one again.. cause if your selling them for $400 or so..I'll take 3 !!

People who know..know!.

East Coast Ice Choppers! :1luvu:

Try calling Lahouts in Lincoln, NH. In their snowboard shop they had a used Madd 158 with Burton plates collecting dust in the back corner. The price was $599 but I'm sure you could negotiate. I presume this was an old style Madd b/c it had a unique speckled base and it didn't have the newer neon colored sidewalls.