Note to New Members ×

Training in Maine and USASA Points

Matty F.

Just raced in my first snowboard race over the weekend at Mt. Sunapee, it was a blast. I was wondering if there are any snowboard teams in Maine who get to train on snowboard gates. This was my first weekend running snowboard style gates (compaired to ski) and would like to find a place where I can get some practice.

Also, this weekend I was the only competitor in my age group, 23-29 and was wondering if I should stay in that age group for the rest of the season or should I move to the open class? Any suggestions will help..thanks, Matt

Matty-

SUgarloaf and Sunday river/gould academy have snowboarding programs. Most programs out there are geared towards kids, but It would be worth looking into with the mountains. Also, look up Jack Michaud on this site. He is from maine and knows a little bit about the scene up there.

I know Bill Enos and the BBTS over at waterville valley have taken some adults in the past and that could be an option for some training and coaching.

and finally, the USASA. If you are the only guy in your age group, you are a lock for the nationals...

Matty-

Glad you liked the event. The morning GS was a great course as long as you remembered the double blue gates. Snow was excellent but a bit slow due o the insane cold. As Noah stated, if you're the only one in your division, just stay on your board till the finish and keep taking home those gold medal bling blings. Check out the USASA site because there are three more GS / SLA events scheduled for February, Waterville 7th, Sunapee again 28th and Bretton Woods 29th. I thought the slalom was a bit tight towards the end, and how about those temps, thank God the sun was out.

Eric

thanks for the info guys...I wish I could go to Waterville for training but it is 4 hours from my house. I loved the GS course on Saturday, first time running snowboard gates so my timing was a little off. Was the slalom a typical slalom course? I used a FP 167 with a 12m sidecut which was too much for that course.

For the snow conditions, I didn't have cold enough wax for the snow. My old ski coach used to have wax called Polar Extreme which worked really well in snow conditions like on Saturday. Does anyone know where you can get it?

Matty