Note to New Members ×

Anyone remember this board Nitro Cam????

EPIK CARVE

It's not that old, it is actually a 2000 or 2001. I saw one in the shop when I bought my board in 2002. The guy from the shop said "this board is sick!". Ironically, this board seems to be near where I live. The price he is asking for is way too high, it's probably what he paid for it 4-5 years ago. If it was longer and cheaper, I'd think about it.

I think it might be older than 2001; AFAIK Adas a friend of mine from NZ was looking at one as a close out prior to me moving back to Thailand, so about 1997/988 maybe?

I suspect it is a foam core; with a very odd series of bumps on the deck; it is a pity that they ditched the scorpion which I still love even today.

Those board bumps are similar to what Oxygen (atomic) had on their Apex. Maybe Nitro was playing around with the stiffness/dampening.

The O2 Apex had about 4-5 rounded ridges that ran the length of the board, in front of and behind the binding area. They were able to lighten the board, but stiffen the ends with those ridges. It had a pretty good softer ride, with a bit more flex across the board than an normal board, but good stiffness (on the soft side) lengthwise. It was a good powder board, and all around beginner board.

Atomic still uses that technology on its skis, except there are only two ridges that run the length of the ski.

I imagine that the bumps come from the core that is CNC machined. I found out that it is a 1999 model. Here is some things I picked up from some websites:

Advanced design, construction technologies make the CAM perfect for high speed, powerful carving. Advanced carving, racing boards designed using finite elements calculation, progressive sidecut, 3D construction featuring integrated fiberglass tube, stone ground base finish, diamond edge tuning, IsoSPEED 740 Sintered base.

NITRO's RACING BOARD FOR THE 21st CENTURY AVAILABLE NOW. The C.A.M. (Computer Advanced Modeling) board is the first experiment of three-dimensional carving boards is now a proven success. The board was designed as a joint project between Nitro, and a university project group to create a board with ultimate edge grip, especially in icy conditions. The university group used FINITE ELEMENTS CALCULATION, a computer modeling process currently being used by the aerospace industry, to perform calculations on a university super computer. This modeling process was able to combine the board geometry as well as dynamic and riding characteristics specified by Nitro with construction lay-up specifications and material characteristics, to create this unique board profile.

C.A.M. CONSTRUCTION WITH INTEGRATED FIBERGLASS TUBE--for precise edge control and board liveliness.

NEW METALLITE TOPSHEET--lighter & stronger.

BI-DIRECTIONAL, PRE-PREG FIBERGLASS--straight, not woven to increase strength and reduce weight

NEW LIGHTER, STRONGER, SEALED-BOTTOM INSERTS--Lighter weight and higher retention strength than standard inserts.

360o FULL WRAP STAINLESS STEEL EDGES--Protects vulnerable tip and tail areas from delamination.

PROGRESSIVE RADIUS SIDECUTS DIRECTIONAL, RACING SHAPE AND FLEX FIRM FLEX PATTERN--for instant response.

P-TEX ELECTRA 4000 SINTERED BASE--the fastest base material made.

Edit: After looking in the Internet Archive, I found out that the C.A.M was produced from 1998 to either 1999 or 2000 (and I found at the same time that my board is a 1999, not 2000).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEfreerider

First I want to say hello, This is my first post here.

I am new to alpine/carving:biggthump , I have been riding for about 8 years all freeride never really got into freestyle I like the board on the snow for the most part. I love watching the carvers on the hill looking so sweet and smooth, so I decided it was time to try it out. I ended up buying this, the one from eBay (it was a last second thing well last 20 second thing), I usually do a little more research on such things first but it looked like a sweet deal and now I am wondering if it was or not. Could any one give me a heads up if this is a good board, and what class it might be in such as freecarve or race, and also if it is a good board for a newbie.<O:p</O:p

Thanks<O:p</O:p

Kevin<O:p</O:p

<O:p

If the board is in good shape, then I think it is a good buy, assuming you did not pay too much for it. I ride a 1999 or 2000 Nitro GTX 166, so it should be similar, and I am quite satisfied with it. It is a narrow board, but you should get used to it after a few days of riding. What bindings are you going to use.

And to answer your question, I would say it is an agressive freecarve board even if Nitro says it is a race board.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEfreerider

I am not sure yet what I am going to use. I am open to suggestions. Right now I am thinking I am going to end up with UPZ or older UPS boots but would like some input there too.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

Kevin<o:p></o:p>