Note to New Members ×

Riding Switch and other things I am thinking

Raisputin

So, Saturday I decided that I should try riding my alpine board switch for the first time ever. Looked really really hard on the videos I have seen of people doing it, but I was surprised that it wasn't quite as hard as I thought. Admittedly, I was doing it on a Green Circle Run, but that is OK for my first time. It was definitely a different feeling, kinda scary, kinda exhilerating, kinda fun, and definitely different. Just thought I would share that...

Next on my list of things, has anyone here ridden one of the new Magne-Traction snowboards by Lib-Tech? My friend Joey McGuire who owns hte local snowboard and skate shop thinks they are awesome, and an old friend of mine who is the one I credit with my liking alpine boards so much, just switched to one and says that he gets the same feeling on his Magne-Traction as he did on his race boards :freak3:

I have not had the opportunity to take one out yet and test it, but I was thinking...hmm...if Magne-Traction gets that kind of review from two guys that I respect a lot, I wonder what it would be like to put the Magne-Traction edge on an Alpine board?!?!!? I would think that it would be INSANELY GREAT (-Steve Jobs)

Here is the link to the info about Magne-Traction http://www.lib-tech.com/tech/magneTraction.htm

So what do you guys think?

The main thing that makes riding switch difficult, with conventional stance angles or alpine stance angles, is the fact that most people don't practice it very much at all. If you practice at it, you'll get it. Riding switch with high stance angles looks a lot harder than it is... again, it's just a matter of practicing it a lot.

At least that's what I've found with riding switch on intermediate slopes. With moguls and technical stuff, there might be a real difference because frankly it is a little more awkward.

When you get comfortable riding switch, work on sliding transitions from normal to switch, then work on little 180 airs (the kind where most of the air comes from hopping, not from the jump). There's something really nice about a simple 180, even a small one, they're fun to do and they make boring slopes more interesting.

(I have trouble with backside 180s, but I was never any good at those on soft boots either so I don't think the boots or the angles are the problem.)

i enjoy riding my madd 158 switch too.

as for joey mcguire, would you ask him if he still remembers a deaf guy who worked at mt hood snowboard camp back in 98-99? if he does, tell him i said hello, long time no see.

yep, i own a magne traction. its nice feeling. feels a bit serrating, in a way. cant describe it. you gotta try it yourself.

i enjoy riding my madd 158 switch too.

as for joey mcguire, would you ask him if he still remembers a deaf guy who worked at mt hood snowboard camp back in 98-99? if he does, tell him i said hello, long time no see.

yep, i own a magne traction. its nice feeling. feels a bit serrating, in a way. cant describe it. you gotta try it yourself.

I will stop in at his shop tomorrow and ask him :) If you ever happen to be near Wenatchee, I would be happy to go ride with you :) and I know sign language fairly decently as well More towards PSL/signed english than ASL though :)