Note to New Members ×

Coiler vs Prior WCB vs Volkl RT?

eaglez

Hey All,

Sorry, I posted this in the CLASSIFIED section by accident.

My Specs: 225 pounds, 6'1", size 29.5 Raichle - reasonably aggressive carver

My Boards: MOMO Design 165 (ya, I don't know who was the manufacturer is either!) - the board is very soft though

Oxygen Proton 185 GS

My Bindings: TD1 SI's

My surroundings: I live in Barrie, just north of Toronto, so none of your west coast length resorts or your west coast powder. We have Intrawest Junior at Blue Mountain!

I want to get into a 168 to 174 stiffer board, that will take my weight and not fold under the pressure of a deep trench. I did actually break one MOMO board a couple of years ago, they replaced it under warranty but with the same soft board. I was looking at the Prior WCB and 4WD and the Volkl RT in various sizes at the ONLY local shop that sells carving hardware. They also had a NEW Volkl RT 174 from a couple of years ago. (the one with the flaming sabre tooth skeleton) Since Coiler is not inventoried anywhere around here I can't look at them in the flesh. There is also no where to demo the products in the area either. I would like to move to one of these Porsche boards but I need some input from the masses that consider this sport a religion. I call it an insanely addictive hobby at this point, but am open to converting.

Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Darren

as soon as we get some more snow. I've got a 2002 model RT173, new never been used ready to go for this season. I rode a RT168 at the end of last season and liked it, but when the 173 fell into my clutches the 168 made a hasty departure. Spring conditions last season didn't reveal alot other than the board was pretty smooth and handled fairly well in the mush. I'm hoping to log some time this coming weekend and will drop you a line when/if I do. I'm intermediate at best so don't hope for a very insightful report, but I'll tell you what I can,

Have fun,

Paul

Hey All,

Sorry, I posted this in the CLASSIFIED section by accident.

My Specs: 225 pounds, 6'1", size 29.5 Raichle - reasonably aggressive carver

My Boards: MOMO Design 165 (ya, I don't know who was the manufacturer is either!) - the board is very soft though

Oxygen Proton 185 GS

My Bindings: TD1 SI's

My surroundings: I live in Barrie, just north of Toronto, so none of your west coast length resorts or your west coast powder. We have Intrawest Junior at Blue Mountain!

I want to get into a 168 to 174 stiffer board, that will take my weight and not fold under the pressure of a deep trench. I did actually break one MOMO board a couple of years ago, they replaced it under warranty but with the same soft board. I was looking at the Prior WCB and 4WD and the Volkl RT in various sizes at the ONLY local shop that sells carving hardware. They also had a NEW Volkl RT 174 from a couple of years ago. (the one with the flaming sabre tooth skeleton) Since Coiler is not inventoried anywhere around here I can't look at them in the flesh. There is also no where to demo the products in the area either. I would like to move to one of these Porsche boards but I need some input from the masses that consider this sport a religion. I call it an insanely addictive hobby at this point, but am open to converting.

Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Darren

I am 6'3" @ 215lbs and ride a Volkl RT 178 most of the time and a Prior 174 and 179 4X4 the rest of the time. I have ridden the Prior WCR and it is also a great board. The 181 WCR is next to be added to the quiver. But anyway if you want a versatile all around board you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than Chris Prior's 4X4. If I had only one board it would be a tough choice between the 179 4X4 and the 178 RT. I have also had the 173 RT but it is now my son’s favorite ride. Interesting note is the 174 4X4 and the 173 Volkl RT ride almost identical ( in my opinion), smooth as a baby’s butt and very stable. I am an old fart and I find the Priors and the Volkls to be a board I can ride for 3-4 days straight but the 177 Coiler I had was a one day board before it tired my knees and legs. Dunno why.

At 225 I'd stay away from a 168, those were made for the lighter weights. As per the website 75-90 kgs.

You should be able to use a 163 or 178 without a problem. Unless you are really hard on boards, then you should consider a custom or a used custom for a big rider. There are some available from time to time and sometimes if you post that you need one in the classifieds it encourages those that have them to give 'em up and put their earnings toward another new custom.

But back to your original question:

The fact that you have already broken one board (albeit of dubious manufacture) points to an aggressive rider. The RennTigers have a great reputation and a large fan base. However so do the Priors and since you are familiar with soft boards like the Proton, then the Priors might work better for you as they are typically considered damp rides.

Personal opinion....I'd say go Prior.

Squire John's @ Collingwood. I also recommend Coiler. Talk to Bruce I'm sure he will help you. That RT 173 is little over priced considering how old it is and how badly rusted. Did you take a look at the edges? it's rusted all the way and they are asking $600CDN for it. I have never ridden WCR and 4WD but they felt little soft for me when I flexed them. Give Bruce a shout.

Darren - There's lots to choose from in this area, you just have to look around. Dave at yyzcanuck (downtown TO) has F2 stuff in stock, cheaper than the Volkl you were talking about. Bruce unfortunately will probably be sold out again until next year, but there are some used Coilers that come up from time to time. I have a couple of custom Prior WCR's that would work at your weight, 175 and 181. Send me an e mail directly if you're interested or if I can help you find something specific.

I have a friend who's ~220lbs, and he's been riding a 163 Volkl RT for about 4 years with no problems whatsoever. He's aggressive, and can be very abusive to his gear.

Hey Tommy-

I believe the 163 SL Volkl is a very stiff board compared to the 168 or 173 GS. I would agree with you his weight would be ok on a 163 - it just depends if he likes to ride a more turny board like an SL is or a more gentle turning board like the 173 or 178 GS.

Did I not sell my 163 SL to you ?? Long time ago and my memory is not so good too!

Have a great new year.

Darren - There's lots to choose from in this area, you just have to look around. Dave at yyzcanuck (downtown TO) has F2 stuff in stock, cheaper than the Volkl you were talking about. Bruce unfortunately will probably be sold out again until next year, but there are some used Coilers that come up from time to time. I have a couple of custom Prior WCR's that would work at your weight, 175 and 181. Send me an e mail directly if you're interested or if I can help you find something specific.

May be interested in the 175 WCR.