Note to New Members ×

Boot Movement in Burton Plates

rwmaron

Got a nagging problem that I can't figure out - I'm 5'10", 175 lbs, ride an Alp 169 with Burton plates (goofy), front 60, back 54; as I get back on the lift after each run, I notice that the toe of my front boot has 'crept' a bit to the left. At the top of the run, I re-center the toe of the boot, but by the bottom of the run it has shifted left again.......Seems like it moves enough to essentially change the angle of my front foot.

I went through this last year with a beater set of Burtons, but moved to a newer set this year with the same result. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

maybe the bails just arent snugging up enough? I dont remember burton having much micro-adjust capability, so maybe theyre just not interfacing with your boot properly

unless you mean that the BINDING is moving? in which case something could be loose or stripped?

1) Move either the toe or the heel block one step closer. You'll need to switch the screw position for this to either the inside or outside - whichever is the opposite of how you have it now.

2) Turn your binding a few degrees in that direction. If you had it at a natural spot, your foot wouldn't end up getting turned.

Number 2 doesn;t really make sense to me. I know I put lateral stress on my boot sole. What is this "neutral" position. I think the tape idea is your best bet. Another idea is the soft clear PVC tube from the hardwear store, slit to fit over then taped. Same idea, just a little firmer. I've seen his on several pair of Catek WC's.

The local hardware store had a whole rack of clear vinyl tubing; I slit and layered 3 successive sizes around the bail on the side my boot was moving towards, sealed with plastic tape. Works like a charm. Total cost:less than a buck.

Thanks again for the help!!

If you are, you might want to replace the Burton plates with better bindings, when the time comes.

I did something very simular with vinyl tubing too. While this may help for a while, those bails are prone to break. I busted the bails 5x. Very thin and soft bails. It also depends on your riding as well. The extreme riding will weaken those bails eventually.

Use caution! ;)

Simply wrap electrical tape around and around and around and around... the bail (at a point beside the toe of your boot). This will prevent the boot from shifting sideways. It's due to the width of the bail... the wire isn't very close to your boot. Wrapping tape around the bail takes up that space.

Dave nailed it. I'd recommend duck tape because it is wider than electrical tape, but either will work. Do this and you won't have any more problems, it will take you less than five minutes to fix.