Note to New Members ×

Platinum the Movie-The Legendary Banked Slalom

willywhit

I've been watching it a few times so far. It's good and brings back memories of when I last raced the LBS. I love Mt Baker! I'll have to make a trip out there soon. Everyone say hi to George at the board shop in Glacier if you go there, he's got great stories about him, his dog, dynomite and canadian cannon shells found on the mtn. Anyway, I give the video 2 thumbs up:biggthump !

I'll have to buy that one. Makes me all nostalgic... I'm not quite the pioneer those guys were, but I did start back in the day when only one hill in Canada (Sunshine) allowed snowboards and you had to take a test to get permission. They used to hold the North American championships, or at least that's what it was called, basically it was Ken Auch's contest, at that same hill. In 1986 that's where I saw Kidwell destroy the competition on one of the early Sims freestyle models in a half-pipe that looks like it was built in an afternoon by a bunch of drunk guys with shovels. Which it probably was. The kind of flow and style he generated on that board in those conditions was amazing.

Back in those days, everyone who rode sideways was your friend. If you caught a chair with one of the pros (such as "pro" was back then) it was no thing, probably you ended up taking a run or two with them and having a few laughs. It was a fun time despite all the hassles from the hills and the crappy gear, and I'm glad to have been part of it.

were waayyyy sketchy. I rode Loon for a season on a BackHill with the (screw on/in) metal edges from an old pair of Elan skis attached it true ghetto style...it worked though not well and we were very happy the next year when we all got Flite Rockets from Stevie D

were waayyyy sketchy. I rode Loon for a season on a BackHill with the (screw on/in) metal edges from an old pair of Elan skis attached it true ghetto style...it worked though not well and we were very happy the next year when we all got Flite Rockets from Stevie D

Gecko, Look familiar??

Or is this too early??

This early Flite has both fins and segmented edges. Very early "Edged" board without p-tex. Love to hear more about your experience with Flite.

Please email me directly when you have time. Thanks, Bryan