Note to New Members ×

Riding with Loose step ins

Bobby Buggs

I went to Hunter today or should I say Hunta :nono: to ride with Ronnie Knuckles and his crew. We had a great time as usual. It amazes me how riding with better riders really brings my game to another level.

Well back to the topic. Ronnie has a very smooth style and very unusual equipment quirks. First his boots are barely buckled and both feet have the flex open on the back. In fact he glued them down :eek:

He just got some TD2 and he set them so there is some movement in the toe bail, I'm like Dude that's not the way to set them. He said I like the flex. Now if the guy rode like a turd I could call him on that but he tears it on any surface.

Loose boots, loose bindings and kicks A$$, go figure

You are right Riding with loose intec heels is not good. i would think a person would have a better chance of breaking the heel by doing this. By riding with loose toe bails you are putting all of the force on that heel assembly. Also you would be side loading the heel pieces more due to the extra movement. Better to use a standard bail binding to get more flex. That is what a lot of racers are doing.

For myself, I have plastic burton plates that my toes seem to slide back and forth, I check them for strength before I ride everytime, seems like they will hold for another day Hopfully, untill Hardbooter gets off there duff and sends my TD2s. Im really interested to see how my step ins will make a difference, but for know it feels pretty darn good even with sloppy bindings??