Note to New Members ×

all praise Ullr

CarvCanada

It snowed 45cm in Montreal. It was cold, dense powder from a windy storm, and just at the end of the storm, the wind died and dropped a few cm of fluff. People were swimming to get into their Smart cars, which were simply gigantic mounds of snow.

I went to Mount Royal and terrain that I thought would be okay, turned out to be amazing, there was 4ft in some places! This was the first tour ever that I considered biking the approach hahaha, I would have done it, but my board felt unbalanced on my pack. It would have made some great pictures, face shots and big pow slashes with the lights of downtown Montreal right in the background. The most beautiful rail in the city (above the highest McGill rez's, about 200ft towards Peel street below the water fountain with the fish pond that looks like a horse feeder on the big path) finally was very doable, with the normally 10 ft fall onto grass on either side, turning into a 4 ft fall into deep powder which you could ride away towards the city on. The lighting is so perfect, professionals could definately get a cover shot right in that spot

I had a dream that was like that scene from the Matrix with a white background, thousands of rows of guns flying into the foreground, except they were full of snowboards :)

The snow we received is awesome! I was not able to enjoy it as my GF is feeling a little under the weather these days, but it is great for snowboarding and snowshoeing. The spot you speak of would indeed make a nice pic, and if I remember correctly, it is well lit up because of the parking lights. I hope we can go boarding together soon (I promise I won't hurt myself next time :freak3: ).

I've decided to open the season yesterday, and remembering from last year that Avila is good enough to lay out some nice carves I’ve got my stuff ready... Boy it sucked... The grooming was non-existent, beginners trails closed, main trails stuffed with modules and bumps all over… I had to scrape through the whole hill to enjoy at least some flat at the base… Too bad Olympia is still closed at night…

Now, good stuff: I liked a lot the fat (21cm waist) O’Sin Sinner 167 I’ve got as a rock-board from ebay. Very nice and turney… Although at the end I had troubles changing an edge and went off-trail hurting my right knee… :-(

Guys, how can you ride hardboots all day long? After riding soft setup these hurt like hell after a while…

Anyways, although feeling like a beefsteak, I’m happy and set to stick to Olympia till I can master the hard-stuff... They have a very nice, wide trail for this matter….

I went again today and it wasn't so good :( oh well, good use for the rock board. Also, I set off my first ever sluff, yay! It left a path of rocks and leaves :( (east of the new stairs they built that climb up to just east of the lookout)

hardboots all day long, i just think it needs to be totally uncrowded, that's the main factor. with crowds, the icy bumps start showing up especially at st-sauveur/avila and it gets too rough

The only mountain near montreal that i've been able to really push it all day long (not just 8:30-10:00 then time to practice riding switch, slow :( ), during the weekend at "high season", is Mt. Ellen in vermont, it's perfect for carving, 2600ft of vertical, cheap, really friendly, and I think all the skiers flood Mad River Glen instead or something, ther's nobody there

This season it's time to get into the backcountry on weekends! :)

I think the good options we have in montreal for carving, are bromont on weeknights (there's 2 days it's swarmed though, i forget which, i think friday and wednesday?) and olympia, and st-sauveur on like, monday nights

Derf, on many weekends I will be taking the jay bus (it's 10$) to jay and getting into the backcountry (you gotta take the tram though) come join us if you have snowshoes :)

I think the good options we have in montreal for carving, are bromont on weeknights (there's 2 days it's swarmed though, i forget which, i think friday and wednesday?) and olympia, and st-sauveur on like, monday nights...

Maybe it's just me, but I find Bromont a bit narrow for carving, there are only 2 really carvable trails, I had some awsome time there last year right after it was groomed, but that was it... There are a couple of other good trails, but you have to get trough some rought steeps to acces it...

Guest toddflyingdog

Thought Ullr lived in Breckenridge, or at least their marketting would lead you to believe...

Anyhow Ullr is busy in Colorado. About a foot of fresh here today.

Glad Ullr is up in Canada this year too.

Thought Ullr lived in Breckenridge, or at least their marketting would lead you to believe...

Anyhow Ullr is busy in Colorado. About a foot of fresh here today.

Glad Ullr is up in Canada this year too.

Actually, no, Ullr's of scandavian origin. and yes, id like to go to the annual Ullr festival in breck. went to one a long time ago -- 1994 or so. it was fun.

CarvCanada: Wow, I never though about boarding like this in the Mount Royal :freak3: . The only place I ever though about is the old ski run behind UdeM, just beside the music faculty. There is still the T-Bar cable on the ground (if you know where to look for it. It is a nice place for snowshoeing just after it snowed. I do have some snowshoes (I got some last year, GV SnowTrails), but never though about doing some at Jay Peak. If may be good idea. BTW, what kind of snowshoes do you use? Do you use poles for snowshoeing (asking because I got some this year)?

Alexeyga: I never ride softboots anymore, hardboots are more comfortable (it is also due to me having bad soft bindings and bad softboots). But I do find it tiring. If I start early (9 or 10), by 2 or 3, I'm done. Trails here tend to be narrow and get bumped up quickly, that's why I'm thinking of getting a second softer board to use with plates (but not as soft as my old Burton Air). I'm curious, how does that OSin ride? It's because I saw one at Ici Sport for 100$ new. They also have a Burton Amp 6, but I feel it may be too small.

I do find Olympia good for this, its near and inexpensive. Mont de Marsan (#1) and L'intermédiaire (#21) are nice and not too crowded. If you want a good, wide carving trail, try Boulevard (#2) at Garceau, it is really nice for that.

there is a LOT of powder at jay peak now. off piste it's ridiculously deep. the base of firmer snow is a bit thin though, you never hit the bottom or rocks, but if you ride over a river, or a loose bush, it collapses and it's time to swim :)

I checked out Big Jay, it looks tempting but kinda dangerous now, big cliffs not filled in, some lines are definately good, but are limited right now. i don't know, maybe 3 feet more powder and some warmer, less windy weather for a bit will make it good

i'l be picking up some collapsable poles and some new snowshoes this year