Note to New Members ×

Intec heel swap?

tahoecarver

I just bought a pair of Intec heels, but I only need the right one, as I only ride my rear foot as a step-in (I ride regular). I don't see a point in making both feet step-in, since I only engage and dis-engage my rear foot. So my dilemma is that I have this intec heel for my left foot that I don't use. Is there any goofy foot hardbooters out there that would like to swap their right intec heel for my left one? That way we will both be able to set up another pair of boots as Intec. Any takers? My heels are brand new, but I will be more than happy to trade for a used right heel and cable assembly, as long as it's in great shape, and compatible with my other boots (Head). Let me know, and thanks for listening.

The cables can be moved to either side so the heels are interchangeable, left or right. Plus, you will want to keep a backup because the cables and pins can break. If you're on a trip somewhere and your heel breaks, it's not like you can run down to the ski shop and buy a new one. So I suggest you save it and keep it in your boot bag.

I thought of that, so I opened up the Intec housings and took it apart. Unfortunately, it did not allow me to position the cable to the other side. I opened up both sets, and the mechanism is different for the right and left foot. Do you have the same thing? Take a look and you will see what I mean. If you know of a way to change the pieces out, I would appreciate the info...

You may want to reconsider riding only one of the Intec heels as they change the riding characteristics of you bindings significantly. I just changed from step in trench digger2 back to standards. The two pin system does not allow for lateral flex which can be detrimental in a race course but is nice for carving on groomers.

Well, the guts are different. But the cable can be removed from the left heel and put on the right one. The outer mold could be swapped too if you took the guts out of the right one and put them in the left heel. Essentially making the left heel a right heel. See the attached picture. It's from Scott Firestone at The Carver's Alamanac.

->Ben

post-10-141842209923_thumb.jpg

no worries, Scapegoat.

and thanks, Ben, but I am looking for a way to have 2 right Intec heels, which is the reason for this post. I realize that the cables can be put on either heel and the outer shells are identical for both feet, but I can't use the Intec heel for the left boot on another right boot...I hope that makes sense (i.e. I want two right boots with Intec heels). That's why I am looking for a goofy footer who wants to swap one heel with me. Anyway, this is a great forum and all of you carvers are helpful, so thanks.

Guest Randy S.

Hey Tahoecarver. If you want to come over to Truckee tomorrow (Sat) night, we could mess with them and swap them around. I've done this before. Maybe the heels have changed. In the pic above, you'd have to remove the little "arm" by lifting it off its pivot (as mentioned, being really careful not to let the springs go flying), swap the springs around and put the arm back on the other side up. If this doesn't work, I have a spare right heel you could have (I'd swap for a spare left since I'm goofy and therefore more likely to break a left than a right).

Call me on my cell 650-291-8582 and leave a message. I'lll be at Alpine during the day tomorrow after I get my boots sorted.

Randy

Guest Randy S.
...but I live in So CA (for now, looking for work back up north). If I am ever up your neck of the woods, I will give you a ring. So what year is your Intec heel? Anyway, keep shredding.

Couple years old now. I basically have spares of everything you could possibly need to carve. Just ask Lonerider, KJL, Hagen, RobRidesSquaw, or any of the other folks who have stopped by my place for emergency spares before. ;) I figure its all good for karma.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...