Note to New Members ×

Madd Forward Camber and Technique?

dwiller

Some other Madd riders will probably chime in here. There has been some discussion in the past on the forum (do a search) and also look at the Carver's Almanac (Scott Firestone's wonderful creation :biggthump ):

http://www.alpinecarving.com/

Put about a dozen runs or so on the 170 yesterday and was sorta re-evaluating this on the hill (rode it and the 197 Burner back and forth throughout the day - talk about two very different rides!) I've learned through my own experinmenting, as well as listening to other's input, that this thing really responds ideally with the bindings mounted at the forward inserts (TD2s). I spent some time last season playing around with this to end up where I'm at now. Works for me and my particular riding style/needs anyway. Rode some varying pitch terrrain yesterday and played around with weight shift a bit and I found (re-discovered actually) that:

1) mild/moderate terrain and shorter turns (SL-like) - back off a bit or you'll over-rotate/slide the tail right out of the carve. STAY CENTERED. Nothing necessarily profound or new.

2) steeper terrain w/stretched out turn shape - Loves to be ridden w/hard, aggressive forward weight shift throughout much of the turn with a very gradual shift rearward as the turn progresses. Simple un-weighting (doesn't take much) and she pops back to the other edge - minimal effort.

Have applied this particular approach with other GS decks (usually right after being on the Madd), had the nose fold and have been nearly thrown over the bars! One time I DID go over with no injury (luckily)!

Every deck rides differently - Hell, there's plenty of variation within same mfg./model. You adjust and enjoy!

BTW - The 170 is an extremely easy deck to ride overall! Lots of fun. Can't speak for the 158.

Kinda like kids - LOVE 'em ALL, just got to deal w/their individual uniqueness :D

Had to say that, got three of 'em (kids that is) - still have more snowboard decks than kids though (whew!) ;)

the 170 you can ride it way forward or you can take it easy but the more you push on the nose the more it pushes back and will launch you in and out of turns and if for sure at its best if you ride it way up front

OK - ya know what, I could have simply summed it up like Bob here without all the verbage - that was a long-winded post :rolleyes:

Fun, turny little decks - easy to ride, like to be pushed hard too!

There!

:smashfrea

I noticed last year when I use my 170 the more I pushed it them more it sucked me in and the more energy it returned. I got so much force out of that board I think its what blew the disk in my back. That was the day I noticed my back started to hurt.

As much as I love my 173 AM Im looking forward to loading up that bbaM again

Rather than leaning forward and having trouble with folding the nose and excessive leg fatigue, you could try moving your stance forward.

The drawback to doing this is that you don't get to pat yourself on the back every time you say "MADD" and "advanced technique" in the same sentence, but the upside is that you'll ride the board better than those with the shoulder touching fetish.

Rather than leaning forward and having trouble with folding the nose and excessive leg fatigue, you could try moving your stance forward.

The drawback to doing this is that you don't get to pat yourself on the back every time you say "MADD" and "advanced technique" in the same sentence, but the upside is that you'll ride the board better than those with the shoulder touching fetish.

Not sure exactly who's comments this is directed at, but here goes:

1) The forward referred to (at least in my definintion) is not equivalent to breaking at the waist type leaning. Simply more weigh distributed forward at turn initiation and carried through some of the turn. Stance is set all the way forward.

2) Some decks (with a softer nose) won't tolerate as much of this and hence they fold. On those, I simply adjust and ride accordingly.

3) Excessive leg fatigue is not an issue with riding this board for me - well, unless it's LOTS of runs without a break (not hydrating myself adequately) - marathon day sorta thing - then they BURN :eek:

4) "Advanced technique" - I've heard it used quite a bit as well when associated with Madd. Not sure exactly what that is - the 170 is a pretty simple board to ride. Once again, can't speak for the 158.

5) Shoulder touching...uh, do Madd owners actually "pat themselves on the back" because they can effectively ride their stick? Don't know.

I will say this: I DO give myself a little 'at a boy at the end of the day if I've had a fun day of riding and am not being taken off the hill in a sled :D