Note to New Members ×

Are you a WIDE or NARROW sloper?

SWriverstone

Aside from steepness, moguls, etc. there are basically two kinds of slopes out there: wide ones, and narrow ones. In my limited carving experience, I've found that I'm definitely a wide sloper---meaning I love really wide slopes because I love the style of carving that involves much longer, sustained, high-speed turns (which require more slope width)...as opposed to narrow slopes, which require more rapid-fire, slalom-style back-n-forth turns.

I also find that traffic issues are much less on wide slopes, since the straightliners have more room to avoid you.

Though I've never been, I see pics of Aspen and other big resorts where one slope appears to be about a quarter-mile wide---I'd be in paradise in a place like that!

I don't think it follows, either, that wider slopes are easier---seems to me that it's actually more brutal on your quads to stay down low in a l--o--n--g turn than to be bouncing back and forth a lot (where the muscle groups get more brief rests during transitions).

Scott

I love those long drawn out turns that you can transition on going back up the hill, so I'd have to vote for those. That said, I like narrow slopes on a short (160) board for the quick carves to hone skills. Have gotten my best comment on the short board last year, a friend of mine saw me riding the chair with his boy and told him," Now THAT'S carving!" However, my first day on Buttermilk I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

but hope to better my skills on our more narrow slopes this season. Unfortunately on my home mountain all the slopes are fairly narrow. We do have a few runs that really open up in some spots, but nothing that's just wide all the way down. Other than our runs being to short I really can't complain though, but I'd like to get to Tahoe this season to experience some other terrain. I haven't been anywhere but Bachelor since I learned how to hardboot 4 seasons ago.

Have fun,

Paul