Note to New Members ×

Slight Pain in back knee

Guest astan100

Guest astan100

Hey Guys,

I ride regular and I started getting some pain in my right knee about halfway through the day. I was riding at 51 degrees in the front and 48 in the back and it just kind of hurt. So I changed to 48, 48. That alleviated a lot of my pain, but there is definitely some still there.

That felt pretty normal for my wide board(I have a Donek Axis). I think (I gotta verify) that I'm riding 1.5 degrees of lift in the front and 3 in the rear.

Should I add or subtract cant? This whole process seems hard to tweek. I read through some of the articles (one by Bruce from Coiler) and I'm still kind of unsure of what to do.

I'm glad I got the cateks so I can fiddle with stuff :)

-Allen

yeah, youre just gonna have to fiddle

but I think the basic idea is to have your stance set as close to natural as possible...like the standing straight with feet together and seeing if your knees touch or not, or if your feet splay naturally.

are you sure you dont just have an old injury that flares up? my right leg got thrashed on a cornice drop in utah in 95...never saw a doc, so its a problem these days, and my left one kicks in alternately every once in a while...not related to stance I dont think.

anyway...thats what cateks are for! ;)

Fox (the motocross and other stuff company) is going to be releasing a new knee brace, probably around mid-2006. I have seen all the prototypes all the way up to full final design and it is bloody awesome. It has been tested against every single commercially available product on the market at present and out performs in terms of strength and breaking point. That is not to mention comfort.

I know it is a bit late for this season, but possibly I will have a couple of pre-release, unbranded ones at SES this year and might be pursuaded to let other people check them out. But regardless, keep an eye out, because it is a damned good product.

DISCLAIMER: I have no commercial affiliation with the designer or producers, I just happen to know the right people and can recognise a good product when I see one.

Guest astan100

Ok, step 1- eliminate cant

step 2- move angles to 55 degrees.

I was worried those angles wouldn't let me put enough pressure on the edges of the board since the waist is kinda wide on the Donek Axis.

I'll give it a shot.

-Allen

Guest astan100

Interesting, I really liked the lift from the rear...I noticed then when I stood in an alpine stance on my balance board, my rear foot naturally came up.

my heel side carving is better than my toeside (I bet because of the lift)

If it's flat enough, I can always lay a trench with my heel, but have a harder time with the toe.

Gleb, as you figure stuff out, post it and I'll do the same. Then the whole forum can watch as we fumble our way through learning to hardboot.

-Allen

Interesting, I really liked the lift from the rear...I noticed then when I stood in an alpine stance on my balance board, my rear foot naturally came up.

my heel side carving is better than my toeside (I bet because of the lift)

If it's flat enough, I can always lay a trench with my heel, but have a harder time with the toe.

Gleb, as you figure stuff out, post it and I'll do the same. Then the whole forum can watch as we fumble our way through learning to hardboot.

-Allen

Ya sounds like a good idea. My front is set at 60 and the rear is 57. thats the smallest angle i can set where my boots will fit. They're prolly going to get steeper because my boots are getting stretched out a bit.

FYI - Since the entire board/binding interface of the TD2 (And Catek) is in the center of the board, having ones toe's/heel's near the edge does not add leverage.

I smell a lengthy discussion on this one. FWIW, I agree with you Bob - but everytime I make this claim I get shot down. My degree is in math (proofs) rather than phsyics or engineering so I am not equipped to defend myself - but I would love to see this debate develop.

:lurk:

FWIW, I run low 50's on my Axis, 1+ cm of underhang on both sides, and rip just as hard as I do on my 18-cm waisted boards which are mid-50's, no underhang, no overhang.