Note to New Members ×

Edge high board

Allee

My new to me Hot Blast is edge high in the middle, through the bindings.

It was base ground already (3 passes on the machine) which took care of some of it, but I could still feel it railing in the centre when I rode on the weekend.

What to do? Another couple of passes through the base grinder? The board looks to have plenty of edge and base left, so that's not a concern. Any other suggestions??

Run more passes unless it's out more than the thickness of the edge. Have you put a true bar on the board. We run a lot more passes than 3 on a new board and they still have a lot of material left. You're probably fine to keep going.

Sean Martin

Donek Snowboards Inc.

smartin@donek.com

http://www.donek.com/

phone:877-53-DONEK

shops have shoddy machices that were never intended to be used on a snowboard, at least in the original design.

what happens is that the wide belts can be high in spots and cause some issues or just not fix others, though I have only seen this affect wide boards like my old canyon that was 27 cm wide.

why did the shop not flatten it in the first place?

I would be bent if I got a grind and no one thought to take a bar to it and if it was not flat to give it another couple passes.

I don't have any particular attachment to the board, it cost me $100. Wavechaser, ask Jim Callen about this one ... he rescued it from the garbage in Aspen!

This was the board that I took to my tuning workshop last week. When we first went over it with the bar, it was base high front and back and REALLY edge high in the middle. When it was done it was a lot better, almost flat back and front, but we still got the scrape in the middle. It was my idea to try riding it, I was paranoid about grinding it too much more ...

However, if Sean seems to think that it will handle a few more passes, I'll drop it back off this weekend and ask them to put it through.

The guys at the OPC are good, they were trained by a World Cup tech and treat their grinder like a baby. In fact, if they think your board is not up to scratch, they won't even put it over their stone.

Thanks for the advice!!

I don't have any particular attachment to the board, it cost me $100. Wavechaser, ask Jim Callen about this one ... he rescued it from the garbage in Aspen!

Yo, Callen...if you pull any more Hot Blast boards out of the garbage in Aspen and want to sell, please contact me!

:D