Note to New Members ×

Rain X to renew water repelency/water-proofness to older jackets?

Gtanner

I use TekWash and TekRinse (I forget what the stuff is called exactly, by same manufacturer). You wash the jacket once to get it clean with the first product, and then a second time with the sealant/restorer to seal it up. They also recommend using a warm iron to really seal the surface. It works well, but does not restore water repellancy to what it ewas originally.

John

Guest Randy S.

Tekwash followed by TX-Direct wash-in is great. I usually run through the dryer on the lowest heat setting for a bit, then switch it to air fluff. The TX-Direct stuff smells kinda funky so the air fluff gets rid of some of the smell. I usually leave the jacket hanging for a few days afterward and the smell is gone by the next weekend. I use it on my kids' jackets and pants, plus my gear. If you make the mistake of buying light colored stuff for kids, it is critical. In fact, even my mustard-colored jacket has to be washed much more frequently than my old red one.

Both products are made by Nikwax and you can get them at REI. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully if you want to get the most benefit from them. Especially the part about pausing the wash cycle for a few minutes on the TX-Direct stuff.

Another note: never use a dryer sheet or fabric softener on waterproof/breathable fabrics. They won't be breathable afterwards if you do. Same for washing microfibre rags.

I read this in a ski mag sometime last year. Has anyone tried it and can comment on it??

-Gord

Hmmm... I don't know that it would work. But it might.

Rain-X works like a wax for your windshield (In fact, one form of it is a liquid wax ...) I use it all year round with wonderful results.

Possibly, if you got your hands on the 'non-wax' formula (Which I prefer) you might have some success. Actually, I think it comes in a spray bottle too, and that might be the best way to apply it.

Go for it if you have some Rain-X on hand, or even if it's cheaper than a "real" waterproofer, it might be worth trying.

Thanks guys for your responses.

I do have a spray bottle of Rain-X around and may give it a shot. I'll try to track down some nikwax though. BTW, the jacket in question is a Helly Hansen jacket from 4 years ago, lots of wear, still in good shape, but would likely fail the shower test.

-Gord