Note to New Members ×

Free cheese

JJFluff

Erik, if you come to the SES, I'm going to introduce you to a little cheese called Cave Aged Gruyere aka: The Best Cheese Ever. If this cheese were wine it would be a 60 year old Grand Cru Red Burgundy, quite possibly a Richebourg or Romanee. The complexity that unfolds as this cheese melts in your mouth can't be touched by pasteurized cheeses. It's like comparing a Corton-Charlemagne to Kendall Jackson chardonnay. You'd have to be insane to try, or on some really psychotropic drugs.

Jim, saying that American cheese sucks is like saying that American wine sucks. That's just too broad a statement. There are more than a few cheesemakers using raw milk in the US, one of them being about 10 minutes from my home so I have personal experience on the farm. It's not simply raw milk that makes great cheese although there is no comparison when it comes to pastuerization. The diet of the herd between young spring onion grass and hard winter grains, the fat content of the milk from a particular breed of cow or other animal and obviously the skill of the cheesemaker are some of the things that distinguish good cheese from great. Just because it's American doesn't mean that its no good. I fully understand the great traditions of cheese and wine making in Europe, you can't argue with centuries old quality but don't dismiss the new artisans either. One of these years I'll bring some cheese out to SES to share with you, I'd bet money that you would be blown away. That's my opinion though,

Sorry for the complete thread jacking...

While I'm jacking this thread anyway, Jim I spent a few years as a young chef in Aspen. Amazing times I had there. Are you working in a restaurant?

Jim, saying that American cheese sucks is like saying that American wine sucks. That's just too broad a statement. There are more than a few cheesemakers using raw milk in the US, one of them being about 10 minutes from my home so I have personal experience on the farm. It's not simply raw milk that makes great cheese although there is no comparison when it comes to pastuerization. The diet of the herd between young spring onion grass and hard winter grains, the fat content of the milk from a particular breed of cow or other animal and obviously the skill of the cheesemaker are some of the things that distinguish good cheese from great. Just because it's American doesn't mean that its no good. I fully understand the great traditions of cheese and wine making in Europe, you can't argue with centuries old quality but don't dismiss the new artisans either. One of these years I'll bring some cheese out to SES to share with you, I'd bet money that you would be blown away. That's my opinion though,

Sorry for the complete thread jacking...

While I'm jacking this thread anyway, Jim I spent a few years as a young chef in Aspen. Amazing times I had there. Are you working in a restaurant?

I happen to love a good brick of Vermont cheddar. Can't say I've ever tried stuff from Wisconsin.

*french accent* The "STINKY CHEESE!" */french accent* :) I had some Port and cheeze at a french restaurant up at Tremblant years back ... It (the cheese) stank so bad I had to pinch my nose before it reached my mouth. To this day it was the best cheese I ever had.

Sorry about reinforcing the threadjack.... Back on topic:

I cannot share lodging with you unless you skip the SES and head on over to Panorama. ;)

I was actually just joking about looking for a lodging handout for cheese, but I really didn't realize how devoted people are with cheese. Interesting. I guess I'll have to bring a bag of cheese for everybody. I'll stick it in the demo tent. Seeing that the equiptment I ride is probably more aged that the cheese I'd bring, everyone would probably prefer the cheese. I'll be sure to label the bag with all the "specs" too. Lets keep the first "cheese" thread on bomber alive!

Seeing that the equiptment I ride is probably more aged that the cheese I'd bring,

Hey Jon, do you want another set of bindings for your Burtons? I snapped my Coil this winter and now have a set of 3 hole old bindings which are the same as yours that I can't use. If you want them I'll bring them over for you.