Note to New Members ×

freestyle boards with plate bindings?

Guest Hopscotch

Guest Hopscotch

Is there any advantages or disadvantages for using a freestyle board while using hardboots? I was up at hunter yesterday and saw someone with it. i have also seen it a few other times.

Is it used for training?

...it was a good way to start before I could get a freecarve or a race board. I rode on what boards I had (Rossignol Recycler and Rossignol Levitation) with lower angles and learned how to angulate. So, the advantage (to me) was that I learned how to carve at lower angles first.

The disadvantage (to having plates on a freestyle board) was that I needed a stiffer board, both torsionally and laterally, in order to really pressure the board to make it carve.

I still have plates on one freestyle board.

Mark

Right now I'm riding a freestyle board, with soft boots (although they are rotated)... but luckily my board is super stiff. Anyways, I'm planning on doing the opposite:eek:

I want to get a carve board, and until I find a super deal on used boots and plates, I'd just mount my soft boots on that.

-Isaac

Guest astan100
Right now I'm riding a freestyle board, with soft boots (although they are rotated)... but luckily my board is super stiff. Anyways, I'm planning on doing the opposite:eek:

I want to get a carve board, and until I find a super deal on used boots and plates, I'd just mount my soft boots on that.

-Isaac

Hey Issac,

I did the same thing when I got started, but the problem was that I had to use some ridiculous angles to make my soft boots fit on the alpine board (and I have an all mountain board) without toe or heel drag.

You can definteily do it, but I highly recommend getting those plates and boots ASAP.

-Isaac

Not a good idea. You'll have to use ridiculous angles even if you do have small feet and you won't get any support from the highbacks. It's better to either buy the boots and bindings first or to wait and save up some more. You're probably gonn have a hard time carving an alpine board with softies.

Guest astan100

LOL,

I second the "earn more"

This is an expensive hobby, I gotta say. You're probably on the right track with the whole buy the board first and get the boots later, but don't put it off forever. I was shocked at the difference those boots made. I think I read about something called a "booster strap" which will probably make your boots stiffer and is probably worth looking into.

Good Luck!

-Allen

earn more!

look up "delayed gratification" in the dictionary. it's something we tend to lack in modern america

Guest astan100
its actually pretty cheap compared to skiing. I got my boots with my bindings and board for less than $400. I think thats pretty cheap.

Maybe you should take some tips of Zangief over here...400 is pretty solid.

I know it's tough because you want to buy gear you can keep for a long time, but it's probably worth getting something cheap that is all alpine gear and developing your technique. If you're old enough...hit up a 0% APR credit card that you don't have to pay off for like 12 months. I bought myself stuff like that ASSUMING you'll be able to pay it off by then, like you just have to wait for the money to roll in or have a job that can make the minimum payments for you. Don't max out that card though! Buy this, then shred the card. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure older, more money savy people on this board will yell at me.

Maybe you should take some tips of Zangief over here...400 is pretty solid.

I know it's tough because you want to buy gear you can keep for a long time, but it's probably worth getting something cheap that is all alpine gear and developing your technique. If you're old enough...hit up a 0% APR credit card that you don't have to pay off for like 12 months. I bought myself stuff like that ASSUMING you'll be able to pay it off by then, like you just have to wait for the money to roll in or have a job that can make the minimum payments for you. Don't max out that card though! Buy this, then shred the card. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure older, more money savy people on this board will yell at me.

I love ebay and always will :1luvu: and zangief, well he is just the man.

Ebay is the way to go as or the classifieds here would be a more reliable bet. The credit card sounds like a good idea, but that should be last resort. You don't wanna start with bad credit:nono:

if you wait for the deals they do come--case in point myself so far all pieces of equipment used but in excellent condition

boots size 27

reactors--60$

winds--70$

bindings

race 100$

step in race 115$

boards

speed 160 125$ brand new (thx ebay)

fp 167 150

altogether 620 for two complete setups...you just have to have faith

oh yeah to answer the first question I plan on checking out my fish with plates but I would never ride plates on any of my "true" freestyle boards