Note to New Members ×

Thanks to all you Veterans

C5 Golfer

I was USAF at Military Airlift Command (MAC) later renamed Air Mobility Command (AMC) headquarters in Southern Illinois from '91 - '97.

My grandfather was in the big II. The photos he took while they cleaned up the 'camps' still haunt me. I really need to go through all his photos and digitize them before they deteriorate, or are lost, forever.

Anyone here a Navy Pilot (jets, not helicopters)? My friend's dad was a Marine test pilot and he got me looking into the whole NROTC thing and flying is what I would love to do. My dad is a pilot and I could probably already have my license if I put in the money: I have the flight experience. Anyone here done it? What’s it like? You USAF guys can chime in on your flight experience too I guess... :eplus2:

Regular Army Tanker 85-89

IRR in suport of Desert Shield Jan-Mar 91

My younger brother was Desert Shield-Storm with the 82nd

Spent a season in Whitefishtwo years ago awesome Mtn and area. You know Andy "Bear" anoski by any chance?

Nope I don't sorry. I have only been home the last three years or so after the military and college/ grad school etc. So I feel like a stranger in my own town sometimes. That and I live in Bigfork so I don't get much time in whitefish other than driving thru on the way to the mtn

I've met several former A-6 pilots hardbooting, probably my favorite fast mover to radio in the desert. Maybe because when you ask them to unload, it rains armament.

Take a grain of salt with any USAF experience. Flare to land, squat to pee. (J/K, a friend just finished AF flight training).

green shirt, black shoes

USN 88-93

Anyone here a Navy Pilot (jets, not helicopters)? My friend's dad was a Marine test pilot and he got me looking into the whole NROTC thing and flying is what I would love to do. My dad is a pilot and I could probably already have my license if I put in the money: I have the flight experience. Anyone here done it? What’s it like? You USAF guys can chime in on your flight experience too I guess... :eplus2:

I was USAF at Military Airlift Command (MAC) later renamed Air Mobility Command (AMC) headquarters in Southern Illinois from '91 - '97.

My grandfather was in the big II. The photos he took while they cleaned up the 'camps' still haunt me. I really need to go through all his photos and digitize them before they deteriorate, or are lost, forever.

Better to take the photos to a professional.....DVD's burned with pics start to deteriorate far faster than photos

Hi Skatha, It depends on the DVD. There are archival quality DVD that far outlast the 'regular DVD' lifespan of 3 - 5 years, though they are still not ideal backup media. You are right in bringing this up, though, as many people think the average CD or DVD will last a lifetime, which is incorrect. Actually, DVD is not my electronic backup media preference (I hadn't mentioned DVD backup in my post). There are plenty of other electronic media besides DVD that are less prone to time-induced degradation. As with all electronic media, multiple backups help minimalize risk, particularly if kept off site.

My main concern is to make a 'backup' copy of the physical pictures to both lock the aging process and to have that backup copy in case something drastic (fire, etc) happened to the originals. Not to mention to ease future viewings and the use I'll get out of them for other projects. It will also be a good opportunity to get the originals into a better situation as far as archiving compared with their current 'cardboard-box-in-the-closet' method. hehe. Thank you for the concern. It's appreciated! :biggthump

Luckily my photography background and my IT background give me enough knowledge to perform this reliably and correctly myself rather than paying a 'professional' to perform the same job. Being as I'm referring to my grandparents entire photography collection, it is going to be quite a project, to say the least. Once archived, I'll probably also put copies on a media useable by them (such as DVD) because I know they will appreciate having them on media that they can pop into a player and view compared to trying to drag out a cardboard box or a slide projector that is buried in 6 feet of storage in their closet. :D The other logistical challenge being that I'm in Montana and they are in Minnesota.

HK, That is so true. Luckily, my cousin did just that with my grandparents about 2 years ago. It turned out great. He sat both of them down together but then interviewed each of them individually (but let the other pipe up with input on each subject which occasionally turned out quite comical). It turned out really great. My cousin would prompt them with one question about a certain person or time period and then let them talk about it for as long as they could think of stories. Then ask another question. They started with everything that each of them remembered about their grandparents and parents (which came over from Denmark), then to my grandparents childhood, school years, on through when they met and married and what they did since (including my grandfathers time in the Army).

There are lot's of stories that we hadn't heard, even though we'd talked about the subjects before. We should really repeat the whole thing again because just the act of reminiscing will surely have them recalling new stories that they didn't the first interview.

My cousin made DVD copies of the video for everyone to use. We also have several archive copies on various media to ensure it is never lost.

I highly recommend everyone do this. Before their grandparents (or parents) memories fail. It doesn't have to be a big fancy production. Talk to them first to get a quick life outline. Write that down. Then think about it a few days and write down any good questions you can think of to prompt them when the stories stop. Sit them down, roll the tape, and go.

Oh, when you first start, you might want to shoot for a minute of test interview, then rewind to make sure sound and video show up good. It would be a bummer to shoot the whole thing and then discover the sound didn't pick up. Setting up a secondary audio recorder isn't a bad idea either. Since you will not be in the tape and it just points at them, you can set the camera on a tripod. When you sit off to the side, I suggest trying a few different distances so your voice volume records the same volume as the interviewies. In our case, my cousins voice is quite loud because he was right by the camera and my grandparents were 12 feet away on the couch.

Don't limit this to your grandparents or parents. Get your brother and sisters, children, family friends, other people important in your life, or anyone that just has a good story or insight to an important event or interesting time period. This advice I need to follow myself. I sit and think about family friends and relatives that have passed away and the stories slowly fade from my mind. We only have photographs. Video is such a better media to pick up the body language, the voice and it's inflection, etc. All of which really make a person.