Note to New Members ×

Thermoflex liners are ripping my toenails off...

Guest astan100

Guest astan100

Hey guys,

So I went to Surefoot in NYC to get some custom orthodics for my Deeluxe Lemans. I only wore these to the slopes once and I had to stop after every run because I didn’t get the boots modified yet. So, now…I have my footbeds and they blew out the toe box, so everything is about right. However, when I walked around in them for awhile yesterday, my big toes both hurt a lot. I decided that it was from the liners and not the hard boots themselves though. So, I wore just my thermoflex liners around the apartment for like 30 minutes. It kind of feels like they’re trying to tear my toenails off. I even had them heat molded with a super large toecap…they are still too small.

I can’t imagine this is just my problem though since everyone recommends getting very tight fitting mondo sizes and making the boots bigger if need be.

This is what I was thinking of doing. Put on like 5 pairs of socks or shove something inside the liner to stretch it…like one of those shoe trees…and get out a hair dryer to heat just the end of the liner.

Other than that, I don’t know what I could do to make these things fit better. I mean, I think they are a mondo 26 and I need a mondo 27…the boot is a 26.5 (I think? Maybe it’s a 27.5, I already forgot). The point is, they are like 1 mondo size too small.

What are my options?

-Allen

If your boots were molded and your toes fit then with the toe caps they will fit on the hill.

Make sure you have you boots buckled tightly across the ankle strap and dont judge you boots in till you where them on the hill.

If you have just slipped on your boots and they hurt in the toe box it can be becuase you have not pulled your heel into the "heel pocket" and your toes are stuffed.

If surefoot molded your boots I am sure they looked at the size for you.

I hope it all works out for ya! If not you can keep going to surefoot in till its right! They gurantee there fit! :biggthump

yep, the pulling the heel back is a key thing....

But also... really trim back your big toe nails; and sometimes it can be that you had a slide forward in the boot and have banged the toes, which can cuase swelling which can make the boot seem smaller, which can cause swelling and so on.

Also..I have somehow ended up with a pair of boots that seem to be not just 1 but about 2-3 sizes too small and it is the toes that hit me up (I have tiny bony ankles, and a wide front, and so I need to pack the ankle out even after molding and then stretch the boot out side to side). Getting a pair of really thin socks helps a lot, often around the toes is where the sock can bunch up... there is one brand that are really super thin; definitely the ones for you.

Guest astan100

They hurt a lot whether I'm wearing the boot or not (even with my heel being pulled back into the cup when I tighten it down a lot)

I guess my question is: is it possible that the liners are just too small regardless? Like, how do I get an extra half inch or so out of them?

I did the molding at someplace other than Surefoot. I like the guy a lot, so should I just take another trip over there?

-Allen

BEcause the boots themselves seem to be a perfect fit now...

yep, the pulling the heel back is a key thing....

But also... really trim back your big toe nails; and sometimes it can be that you had a slide forward in the boot and have banged the toes, which can cuase swelling which can make the boot seem smaller, which can cause swelling and so on.

Also..I have somehow ended up with a pair of boots that seem to be not just 1 but about 2-3 sizes too small and it is the toes that hit me up (I have tiny bony ankles, and a wide front, and so I need to pack the ankle out even after molding and then stretch the boot out side to side). Getting a pair of really thin socks helps a lot, often around the toes is where the sock can bunch up... there is one brand that are really super thin; definitely the ones for you.

Guest astan100

By the way, this site is awesome..it's really helping my transition into hardbooting. Thanks guys!

They hurt a lot whether I'm wearing the boot or not (even with my heel being pulled back into the cup when I tighten it down a lot)

I guess my question is: is it possible that the liners are just too small regardless? Like, how do I get an extra half inch or so out of them?

I did the molding at someplace other than Surefoot. I like the guy a lot, so should I just take another trip over there?

-Allen

BEcause the boots themselves seem to be a perfect fit now...

astan100,

My first question would be how did they "blow out the toe box" area? They should have put a cap of a sort on your toes before the molding.

If they did this, then you might try something else. We have had people with sesitive toes and the standard toe box method is not enough. What we do is tape some cardboard onto the toe of the boot (one to two layers) and then mold the boots. We only put the cardboard as a strip along the front of the boot. Might be worth a try as we have seen good luck with this. :biggthump

Don't walk around in the liners without the shell on, they aren't meant or designed to be worn that way, and that may be exacerbating the problem with felling like you're ripping your toes off.

If the shells are not the problem and it is the thermofit liners you can do two things.

1. Wait until you have a day or two in them on the hill and see if they pack out a bit.

2. Go back and have them re-fitted.

Use 1 if you can actually bear spending a day or two in them to see if they pack. Use 2 if the pain is too much to think of wasting a day on the snow.

Most good thermofitters will do a refit no problem. Fin's cardboard method sounds great for you. Might wanna bring the fitter a sixer though ;). I have a feeling that they are the right size for you and just need either a bit of refit or some time to packdown.

Personal note:The first couple times in my boots I was having problems with cold and circulation, now after a season of riding I think they are a little loose.

Guest astan100

Interesting.

Here's what they did. The I had the boots molded last season and they just did the toe cap thing (2 pairs of cut socks)...no cardboard. Then, when I went to surefoot, I just had them stretch the boot itself out without touching the liner. So, before the boot stretching, I felt like my foot was jamming into the boot itself, now it just has this uncomfortable pulling sensation from the liner. I think I'm going to try and brave it out for a weekend in Vermont (maybe 2 weeks from now!!!!) and see what happens. I'll bring my softboots and freestyle board as a backup.

I have super thin smart wool socks, so I think I'm ok with that. I guess I'll just wear these things around teh house (WITH boots on) and see if it packs out better. They haven't seen much hill time yet, so that might be a big part of the issue.

-Allen

astan100,

My first question would be how did they "blow out the toe box" area? They should have put a cap of a sort on your toes before the molding.

If they did this, then you might try something else. We have had people with sesitive toes and the standard toe box method is not enough. What we do is tape some cardboard onto the toe of the boot (one to two layers) and then mold the boots. We only put the cardboard as a strip along the front of the boot. Might be worth a try as we have seen good luck with this. :biggthump

I bought Le Mans with thermoflex from Bomber this summer so to be ready for the winter. I read all the advice and picked a boot that sounded too small but went for it anyhow. When I came to moulding the boot I did the toe cap thing and after the moulding process, I did wonder if I was gonna have any circulation in my foot.

I walked around the house in the boots jamming my heel in and was very worried that I had spent a lot of money shipping them over for a pair of the wrong size boots.

However went to our indoor slope and rode them for an hour and they are so comfy. They really are awesome. I have no complaints with them and my feet are totally at one with the board now, if you'll forgive my

pretentiousness.

It is almost as if the boots respond to excess heat caused by your toes cramped into certain positions and effectively continues the moulding process while you are wearing them. Whether this would stand up to scientific scrutiny is debatable.

Do make sure the heel is fully back in the boot though. Always do the ankle strap across the front of the boot first to seat your heel in position.

Enjoy the speed and power.

Guest astan100

The Shell size is fine...I did whatever was in the Deeluxe guide and they fit right.

I guess I just have to take a chance and hit the slopes in these things. Wish me luck keeping toenails. Aftger reading all the comments, I'm concerned about getting them refitted and then they'll be too loose.

-Allen

The same thing happened to me. My Raichle shell size is correct for me and fits perfectly with the standard liners. I bought the correct thermo fit liner, had them molded by a pro using a toe cup but there was just no room in the toes and I lost a toe nail after riding on them one day. Upon examination, I determined that there was no way the next size thermo liner would ever fit into my shells so I took the line of least resistance, put the standard liners back in, sold the thermo liners on the BOL forum and have no complaints with my fit, comfort or warmth. The standard liners are a great fit for me.