Note to New Members ×

Travel to Sunpeaks

Guest kriss

I am planning to attend the carve camp at sunpeaks in dec.options are to fly to seattle,drive to sunpeak(airfare and rental car est. $540 + gas); fly to seattle,horizon air to sunpeak (airfare and shuttle est.$725); fly to vancouver,drive to sunpeak(airfare and car estl $735); fly to vancouver air canada to sunpeak(airfare and shuttle est.$925).

if anyone has made that trip your opinions re. the drive(length,difficulty) and flights(reliability) would be appreciated.

I've done it...

(1) Fly to YVR and then Greyhound to Kamloops, then local bus to the resort.

(2) Fly to YVR, then hire car to Kamloops etc.

(3) Fly to YVR, then fly to YKA, then local bus to Sunpeaks.

(4) Fly to YYC, then Greyhound to Kamloops, then hire car...

(5) Fly to SEA then hire a car...

Vancouver is a better starting point than Calgary, unless you're intending to sleep on the Greyhound to save a night's accomodation charge (been there, done that). SEA is obviously worse than Vancouver.

Unless you're going peak, then flying to Kamloops is pretty cheap and easy, but the airport's a cab ride from Kamloops town, so you'll burn dollars there. You might get some combination air ticket or something. Sunpeaks is a half-hour drive from Kamloops. I generally stay in Kamloops: it's even got a couple of restaurants now, but still it's not exactly set up for tourists. Without a car you're kind of limited. The local bus is full of 13 year old kids who have to get off at each stop to smoke a cigarette. The tobacco companies know where their markets are alright. If you've got a car you're in a much better position.

I've never stayed up on the hill, but they've been building a lot of stuff there over the last few years so it's probably worth a try now.

The road up there is a cruise by UK standards, but a coupel of years ago someone was killed driving up there (caused a bit of a tailback).

The trans-canadian/ Coky-whatsisname is an easy drive. Sometimes it gets a bit closed, but not for long, and the 'planes get grounded for the same reasons anyway. There's a toll somewhere on there.

I'd say it's all pretty reliable, but don't bet your life on it as **** happens. Well snow falls.

What you don't want to do is an air transfer from SEA to YVR; it'd be faster to drive when all's said and done.

Summary: it's all good, get out there and have some fun.

Toll road was $10 Canadian last year when I drove up. I live an hour north of Seattle, the drive was about 4 hours for me. Most of your question revolves around where your start point is, fly direct to Vancouver and transfer to Horizon Air for the trip to Kamloops leg if starting in Canada seems the best to me. I enjoyed the drive, but I can see it would be a bear at night in the snow and ice. And I did abuse the U.S. plate in Canada thing a bit, passing everything in sight!

I'm going to this camp as well. Good to see that I'll have some company! :o

I always take the drive option where I can, and in December there isn't usually too much snow accumulation. The road crews are pretty diligent about keeping the Trans Canada open and snow free, as it's the main route for trucking and such. A four hour drive from Seattle doesn't sound that bad to me, a tank of gas or so each way, and would be the cheapest option as well.

Looking forward to meeting you there.

I did the drive from Portland the last 2 years to go cat boarding in the monashees (2hr past sunpeaks) and it was no problem driving on the transcandian even in snow. You might want to make sure if you rent a car in the US the rental company will let you drive it accross the border. I know from the portland rental places this was a no-no according to their policy.

We are going to Monashee Powder's Anstey area again for a 4 day trip Jan 2-5. If anyone wants to join some hardplate riders on radair tankers there are still spots available . We would love to have company or fill a whole Cat with snowboarders (12 per Cat)

http://www.monasheepowder.com/availability_anstey.html

Jim